We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Proper Attire

Hudson, WI
Level Contributor
18 posts
154 reviews
Save Topic
Proper Attire

My wife and I will be staying in Venice for New Years Eve. We intend on having dinner at one of the better restaurants. How should we dress? Italians have a great sense of style but we don't want to overdress particularly if we encounter aqua alto.

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
46,446 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Proper Attire

Would think smart casual would suffice,

Chorley, United...
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
18,612 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Proper Attire

I remember some years ago staying at the very expensive and very smart Gritti Palace. My wife was wearing one of the very smart outfits she had purchased when in Milan and I was keeping her company by wearing a jacket and tie. I was taken aback to see a party dining with the men in shorts, one wearing a baseball cap in the restaurant, another wearing a Hawaii style shirt and the women in a collection of jeans or shorts. All very beach holiday - ish but distinctly our of place by Gritti Palace standards. I commented the Maitre'd and he shrugged his shoulders and just said "Well, they are on holiday"

Moral - you can get away with pretty nearly anything in Venice dress-wise. But if you do try remember there will always be some extremely well dressed Italian ladies and even well-dressed visitors around so if you wish to fit in and feel comfortable then smart casual in the evening is a good minimum and if you go to La Fenice to an opera, then dress up as much as you can though a black tie outfit is really not needed..

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
6,918 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Proper Attire

I think Robert puts it very well: 'smart casual in the evening is a good minimum'. Some people will be more dressed up than that, and some won't - but I doubt you'll find anyone wearing a Hawaiian shirt or shorts (not on NYE!).

Venice
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
9,107 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Proper Attire

Generally on NYE people do make an effort . So the higher price bracket you go to the more formal you are likely to find people dressed.

Edited: 13 December 2013, 17:49
Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Venice, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
8,205 posts
468 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Proper Attire

I cannot tell you as for New Years Eve attire but right now, I see no specific sense of style on anyone but a few mature ladies, wearing fur coats and hats. I think if you stick with black slacks, black sweater, and a color scarf, you will be fine. Perhaps a sports coat for your husband, weather permitting. My husband is yet to use his sports coat outside of the flight over. He also wears his warm coat and a sweater. We dined at a few very nice restaurants and fit right in with ease.

Here is the typical, almost uniform, attire for women this December: jeans or leggings of sorts fit into high or mid-calf boots, and puffy jackets or coats of any color. It gets real cold at night, so a hat would be helpful, and do not forget a scarf and gloves.

Edited: 14 December 2013, 07:53
Venice
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
9,107 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Proper Attire

Well I fall into that category :) and not the fur coat!!!! Need new boots if this fog continues !

I have attended 2 NYE at 4/5* hotels and it was a dress and heels affair. men in DJ or ties. Possibly ask the restaurant. If its something like the Antico Pignolo or Da Fiore , La Caravella then I would head for smarter as there will be more Italians there..... having said that it all depends on the price the dinner is!!! many friends like me will be spending it at home!

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Venice, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
8,205 posts
468 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Proper Attire

Oops, I just realized that husband is posting, so the above comments in reverse then. :) Puffy coat for your wife, etc., etc.

Rosa, those ladies in fur coats and hats sure look warm and multi eleganti, although would be completely politically incorrect in the US. :/ But, this is not the US.

Edited: 14 December 2013, 08:46
Hudson, WI
Level Contributor
18 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Proper Attire

Thank so much. This is precisely the information I was looking for.

All the responses I received have been helpful. This is the reason

I rely on Tripadvisors.

Chorley, United...
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
18,612 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Proper Attire

I have always been interested to see how early in the autumn Italian ladies get their fur coats out. Far earlier than we would consider much further north in northern England for sure, even if we dared to wear natural fur. Probably not, even fake furs can get a scowl from some.

Venice
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
9,107 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Proper Attire

Fur comes out generally for madonna del salute .......