We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Venice Carnival 2014

Which Venice hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Ridgway, Colorado...
Level Contributor
7 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Venice Carnival 2014

My husband and I are traveling to Italy to celebrate our 10 year wedding anniversary. We are scheduled to arrive in Venice on the last day of Carnival. Initially we planned to leave Rome around 4 p.m. for an evening arrival in Venice. Carnival looks amazing and we are now wondering if we should leave Rome in the morning so that we can catch a glimpse of the celebrations. Does anyone know what the last day of Carnival in Venice is like and if this is a worthwhile change in plans? I apologize for the ignorance, this is our first trip to Italy...but, is Carnival celebrated throughout Italy or only in Venice? Will we be able to catch any of the celebrations in Rome? (we arrive in Rome on February 27th)

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
31,595 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Venice Carnival 2014

Carnival takes place all over Italy, on slightly different dates, although of course focussed around the Saturday to Tuesday before Lent. You can see events on 3 and 4 March 2014 on http://www.venice-carnival-italy.com/

Yes a street carnival also takes place in Rome, with a focus on horses and chariots, but there is nothing up yet on http://www.carnevale.roma.it/ for 2014 - see this for last year partyearth.com/rome/…

Ridgway, Colorado...
Level Contributor
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Venice Carnival 2014

Thanks for the help. Are there any special details that we should take note of when traveling during this time? We already have our hotels booked for Rome and Venice. Are business operation times different during this time of celebrations?

Seattle
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
8,760 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Venice Carnival 2014

I would depart Rome in the morning to catch as much as possible of the Carnavale atmosphere in Venice. You should buy your train tickets on Trenitalia now, as soon as you decide on the departure time.

Seattle
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
8,760 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Venice Carnival 2014

I just checked Trenitalia and there are still some Super Economy tickets €29 or €39) for the morning trains departing Rome on 4 March.

5. Re: Venice Carnival 2014

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 January 2015, 05:19