We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel recommendations in Venice, where is best to stay?

Dublin, Ireland
6 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Hotel recommendations in Venice, where is best to stay?

My boyfriend are I are going to Venice at the beginning of April for a weekend and would appreciate any hotel recommendations as neither of us have visited there before and would like to experience Venice.

We are looking for a hotel with the option of a canal view room, we are young so we would like something close to a bit of hussle and bussle, restaurant, bars and things to visit and do during the day, the usual! We do not have a big budget so any hotel recommendations or advice would be appreciated? Also any recommendations on how to get from the airport to the hotel (bus,taxi etc)

Thank you

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
48,476 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel recommendations in Venice, where is best to stay?

Venice is small so location is not really important, , Hotals with a canal view are more expensive,, would think the area close to Campo Santa Margarita is a lively area being the student quarter, in Dorsoduro,

Look at www.venere.com for Hotels,

from getting to and fro the airport, look at arriving and departing top right,

Mentioned in this post
Dorsoduro
Dorsoduro
2,040 Reviews
Venice, Italy
Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Venice, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
11,505 posts
562 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel recommendations in Venice, where is best to stay?

Also look at Locanda Orseolo, which is close enough to the hussle and bussle of San Marco, which has canal view rooms at a relatively reasonable rates.

Mentioned in this post
Locanda Orseolo
Locanda Orseolo
2,092 Reviews
Venice, Italy
Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Rio de Janeiro
Level Contributor
24,138 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel recommendations in Venice, where is best to stay?

Since you’re traveling on a budget, you may want to have a look at Hotel La Forcola (Cannaregio 2353), although it’s not near the hustle and bustle:

http://bit.ly/1eYFmus

Cannaregio:

http://bit.ly/1ddYUUJ

Al Vaporetto” (3726 Calle della Mandola, San Marco) is a reasonably priced restaurant that gets very good reviews. Click on Menu, then the Download PDF Menu, to see dining choices and prices.

http://www.ristorantealvaporetto.com/

Reviews:

http://bit.ly/pukdbD

Another budget restaurant is Rosticceria Gislon (Calle de la Bissa 5424 | Campo San Bartolomeo):

http://bit.ly/1bii4rl

Mentioned in this post
Al Vaporetto
Al Vaporetto
2,661 Reviews
Venice, Italy
Rosticceria Gislon
Rosticceria Gislon
1,046 Reviews
Venice, Italy
north carolina
Level Contributor
6,588 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel recommendations in Venice, where is best to stay?

As a general rule, location is not too important because it is so easy to get anywhere and Venice is fairly small. Also as a general rule, San Marco area will be very expensive and very crowded, and the other areas will be a bit less expensive and less crowded.. Use the reviews in TripAdvisor and Venere.com.

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Venice, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
11,505 posts
562 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel recommendations in Venice, where is best to stay?

Here is what the OP wrote: " we would like something close to a bit of hussle and bussle, restaurant, bars and things to visit and do during the day, the usual! " Sounds to me that this is a young couple. If I was their age, I would certainly want to be in the midst of things and not in a quiet area. San Marco will fit the bill, assuming Holly can find something within her budget. Somewhere around Campo Santa Margarita or Rialto Bridge would also be great.

Edited: 03 January 2014, 01:27
Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
16 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel recommendations in Venice, where is best to stay?

Hi Holly, my husband and I will be traveling to Venice in April and I had a problem finding reasonably priced accommodation that's near the hustle and bustle of things.

We booked into the Hotel Lisbona, it's a 3 star hotel but you have an option of booking a canal view room, this hotel is in St Marco.

Hope this helps

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
16 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel recommendations in Venice, where is best to stay?

Hi Holly, my husband and I will be traveling to Venice in April and I had a problem finding reasonably priced accommodation that's near the hustle and bustle of things.

We booked into the Hotel Lisbona, it's a 3 star hotel but you have an option of booking a canal view room, this hotel is in St Marco.

Hope this helps

Chorley, United...
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
18,954 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel recommendations in Venice, where is best to stay?

All Venice is very safe and secure and all areas offer much of interest to first time visitors so it hardly matters where you stay.

Rooms with canal views, even if not the Grand Canal, always carry a premium. As you will spend most of your time in your bedroom in the bed rather than looking out of the window you must ask yourselves is it really worth the extra money.

Venice is not noted for a lively night life though the area around Campo Santa Margherita in Dorsoduro, close to the University, has bars and cafes some of which stay open until around 2 am. There are also one or two bars in Cannaregio which stay open late.

Cheaper accommodation - I have stayed in la Calcina on the Zattere in Dorsoduro which over looks the Giudecca Canal, the widest in Venice. They have rooms without a canal view which are quite reasonably priced. There are several B&Bs in the area which have good reports - see the tripadvisor B&B list and read the user comments carefully

Transport to you accommodation. The cheapest is the No 5 ACTV bus or the ATVO coach from Marco Polo to Piazzale Roma. If you are fit and your luggage is n ot heavy then vencie is easy to walk around as it is, apart from the canal bridges, all very flat. However if you do not wish to walk then from Piazzale Roma the water bus lines run all around Venice. See www.actv.it for details of all their many routes and timetables.

Mentioned in this post
Campo Santa Margherita
Campo Santa Margherita
564 Reviews
Venice, Italy
Dorsoduro
Dorsoduro
2,040 Reviews
Venice, Italy
Marco Polo
Marco Polo
152 Reviews
Venice, Italy
Piazzale Roma
Piazzale Roma
26 Reviews
Venice, Italy
9. Re: Hotel recommendations in Venice, where is best to stay?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 January 2015, 06:18