We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Venice-Salzburg-Switzerland: where to fly in near Venice?

Willamette Valley...
Level Contributor
252 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Venice-Salzburg-Switzerland: where to fly in near Venice?

I'm seeing that prices are pretty steep from the Pacific Northwest into Venice and need some ideas! My hubby, 2 teen daughters and I will be spending 12-13 days in early June. We wanted to hit Venice then Salzburg and make a few stops in Switzerland (by train), flying out of Zurich. Are there any less expensive airports somewhat close to Venice that May help get our airfare down??

Venice, Italy
Level Contributor
1,600 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Venice-Salzburg-Switzerland: where to fly in near Venice?

Try to compare Venice with Milan Malpensa and expect to pay at least some €50 to reach Venice from there (by train).

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
31,364 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Venice-Salzburg-Switzerland: where to fly in near Venice?

Check a multi city air ticket from Portland, flying into Milan and into Venice, and flying out of Zurich www.united.com www.delta.com

Train info Venice to Salzburg and Salzburg to Zurich www.oebb.at/en

Edited: 03 January 2014, 08:52
Chorley, United...
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
18,790 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Venice-Salzburg-Switzerland: where to fly in near Venice?

Treviso airport offers a limited range of cheap flights within Europe. The Treviso airport is connected by ATVO coach services from Piazzale Roma in Venice, the journey takes around 40 minutes. See www.atvo.it for their timetables.

Crossing the Atlantic is always the most expensive bit of a trip but there are cheap flights available from some airlines. So just take what is available regardless of landing city and travel from there within Europe.

Seattle
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
9,119 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Venice-Salzburg-Switzerland: where to fly in near Venice?

Using Delta flights with one stop in each direction ( usually JFK), I found prices in early June of $1709 to fly into Venice and out of Zurich, and $1413 to fly into Milan and out of Zurich. So for four tickets, you could save $1200 by flying into Milan.

Super Economy train tickets from Milan to Venice go for as little as €9 each. These are, however, non-refundable tickets so if you miss your train you have to buy new ones, probably at full price.

Depending on the time of arrival of your flight in Milan, you might consider spending the night in Milan, and talking the train the following morning with the super cheap tickets. We enjoyed a night in Milan with our daughters on our last trip to Italy. We bought a wonderful picnic dinner at Princi for €24 for the four of us, and enjoyed it on the rooftop terrace at our hotel.

Flying into Treviso may look attractive if you just look at the basic fare for budget airline flights ( EasyJet). However,,those tickets have extra, sometimes hidden costs, for baggage, check-in, etc. Also, they often depart from distant non-central,airports within Europe. You don't want to have to do BA ground transfer between airports to get to your cheap flight.

Bottom line: unless prices drop dramatically, it appears that Milannis your best option.

Willamette Valley...
Level Contributor
252 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Venice-Salzburg-Switzerland: where to fly in near Venice?

After reading the information I am looking into flying into Milan and also Pisa, and staying the night. We may even try and squeeze an additional quick overnight trip to Cinque Terre area before finding a train back to Venice. Unfortunately, I'm not seeing any fares close to the $1400 you found to Milan, Enzian!

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
31,364 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Venice-Salzburg-Switzerland: where to fly in near Venice?

Check www.skyscanner.com

Italy Trains www.trenitalia.com Click on the UK flag for current train times

Enter a Cinque Terre village for train destination www.incinqueterre.com

Regional info www.italia.it/en/home.html

Accommodation www.venere.com www.bed-and-breakfast-in-italy.com

Seattle
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,119 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Venice-Salzburg-Switzerland: where to fly in near Venice?

I don't know your dates so I picked randomenonesnin early to mid-June. I had you flying outbound on a Monday and back on a Tuesday, so different daysof the week could have different fares. I checked Delta because they serve Portland pretty well and if younwant to fly non-stop to the continent,mtheyncodeshare with KLM to Amsterdan. The flights with a change at JFK were cheaper, however.

I have noticed that fares take a leap upward at some point in June, so the earlier you can go, the better. (But we booked flights right after school was scheduled to be out in 2010 and then they added snow makeup days! We were pretty upset until they decided that graduating seniors (like our daughter) did not have to go the extra days. Since they couldn't change the graduation date, they couldn't really ask the seniors to come back and put in three more days.

Pisa is a good idea too. When our son was a student in Florence, he preferred the Pisa airport for his travels. But that was for intra-Europe flights.

If you could come up to Seattle to fly, you would have more options. But that adds extrantime and stress to your vacation.

Seattle
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,119 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Venice-Salzburg-Switzerland: where to fly in near Venice?

How early in June canyou depart? I see $1395 on Delta for RT Portland to Milan and back, departing either June 9 or 11, and returning on June 22. Returning from Zurichninsteadof Milan increases the price considerable. Our trip was in reverse (flew into and out of Zurich to go to Italy). We got advance purchase fares of 26 CHF for the train from Zurich to Milan. We all enjoyed the ride through the Alps via the Gotthard Pass route.

Willamette Valley...
Level Contributor
252 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Venice-Salzburg-Switzerland: where to fly in near Venice?

We will leave on Sunday, June 1 flying into Pisa or Milan, and return on Friday, June 13th. The "in my head still" itinerary goes something like this: Arrive into Pisa/Milan stay a night (jet lag), head by train to Cinque Terre area to explore (slowly while recovering from jet lag!), pick a town there to stay another night. Day 3 we get on a train to Venice (train details to be worked out!). See a little of Venice in whats left of the day 3. Stay day 4 and day 5 the head to Salzburg (again, by train) day 6. Stay day 7 in Salzburg again. Head to Switzerland by train from Salzburg on day 8. Where we are going in Switzerland? Don't know yet! Maybe stay over in 2 towns before we arrive to Zurich. Or just one that is a good base for a couple nights from where we can make some short day trips, explore the surrounding area. I also am unsure if we need to get to Zurich more than 1 day before our flight to spend time there or not! I only know we need to end up in Zurich no later than day 12 since we will need to fly home on day 13 of our trip. That's kind of it for now. Still VERY early in planning stages. Rounding up lots of information then will decide if this is set in stone and begin locking in reservations. It seems our initial 2 days in Pisa/Cinque Terre may be too fast but since we are limited on time and I don't want to skip any of the other destinations it'll have to do.

Venice, Italy
Level Contributor
1,600 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Venice-Salzburg-Switzerland: where to fly in near Venice?

I'd avoid Cinque Terre since twelve days are not that much to see the other three places.