We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trenitalia Trains

Which Venice hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Wellington, New...
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Trenitalia Trains

Hi

We are about to book our trains on the Trenitalia. We are looking at booking in the economy range, but are unsure about whether to go first or second class. Our main concern about the two different classes is Gypsies and getting our stuff stolen. We can afford first class if that will be safer in terms of not getting our stuff stolen. In particular we are concerned about our luggage getting stolen.

We looked at the information on the site and it says there is a 95cm (First class) vs 90cm (second class) distance between seats. First class also gets a welcome drink with snacks, hot or cold beverages and newspapers in the morning - Bar to bistro service.

5cm extra distance between seats doesn't seem that much for the extra money. We are unsure whether we need the welcome drink and snacks either and hot or cold drinks. We probably won't be reading the newspapers as they will probably all be in Italian.

It seems to me from the information I have that you will be no safer in terms of gypsies whether you go first or second class economy. One thing I can deduce is that going in the seating that is higher in price may be less affordable for the gypsies meaning they are less likely to be in the more expensive areas such as firstclass economy or even stepping up to second and first class Base.

Any advice you all have would be much appreciated.

I look forward to all your responses.

Bucharest, Romania
Level Contributor
76 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trenitalia Trains

you don't have anything to worry about if you book on "le frecce" (arrows) trains, not the regional ones.

QQ2
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
7,260 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trenitalia Trains

Forget about gypsies! The last time I boarded an Italian train, in first class no less, I found a nun in my seat!

I guess they ride for free and have to keep moving around as people who've reserved the seats they are in board the train. I felt awful, but there were no other seats and I had in fact reserved the seat she was in.

I know others will disagree with me and make strong arguments for second class, but I almost always go first (or business) class as long as it is offered. I also try to reserve a seat near where the end-of-carriage oversize luggage racks are, so I can keep an eye on things (if your bags are small enough to go in the overhead you don't have to worry about that), so I would suggest you do the same whether in 1st or 2nd.

One thing I like about 1st is that I often travel alone and the seating there is 2 + 1, rather than 2 + 2 as in 2nd class, and I always get a seat on the 1 side.

Saint Marys, Ohio
Level Contributor
8,140 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trenitalia Trains

Go second class, the difference is minimal. We've travelled 1st and 2nd class and find the differences are not worth the money. Don't worry about gypsies, and when getting off trains, do NOT give your bags to anyone who is trying to "help you."

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
38,736 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Trenitalia Trains

You seem to be under the impression there is a a huge amount of so-called "gypsies" on these trains; since you need to have a ticket for a particular seat, they would have to buying tickets for all these trains which I am certain they are not doing. Anyone who can access second class cars can access first class cars.

I don't waste the extra money on first class (personal choice) - I find the seat/trains very comfortable and I'd rather have that extra money for fun stuff (but, that's just me). I have read here of maybe a total of 5 (if even that many) instances of reports of people running off with people's luggages; it's not easy to do - what may happen is that some people may board the train prior to departure and walk through the cars and lift items that people have left sitting on their seats - But, again, none that I have ever personally seen.

I think that whatever you have heard is a huge exaggeration as there are millions of people who travel trains in Italy every year and this is one things we hear very little about.

As mentioned, don't accept help from anyone offering to help you with your bags up into the train; some of those people (if you accept their help) can get pretty aggressive about demanding some payment from you - if you travel light enough, you should be able to climb those steep, narrow steps on your own without any help - and, those steps are for the all classes of rail cars - pack light and your trip will not be marred by too much or too heavy luggage; I have seen people literally sobbing about the problems getting all their bags onto the trains. There is no staff to assist and those pesky steps are just that: pesky and very awkward.

Read up on traveling via train in Italy - this site includes info and photos:

roninrome.com/transportation/train-travel-it…

GAC
Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Sardinia
Level Contributor
8,714 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trenitalia Trains

Theft on Trenitalia trains is not commonplace, but it does occur on occasion. The most likely place for thefts to occur is in FIRST CLASS on tourist and business routes, where thieves know well-heeled Italians, Americans, Canadians, Brits, Aussies (and others, even New Zealanders) travel, mistakenly believing that they are "safer" in first class because thieves won't venture outside of second class!

Most commonly, small expensive items are stolen, such as purses, wallets, laptops, smart phones, tablets, cameras, video gear and other electronic equipment, attache cases, briefcases, some backpacks, and gift items. Large luggage is not often the target of thieves.

BTW, most thieves don't purchase a train ticket (first OR second class). Also, gypsies are not the only thieves. Some are well-dressed con artists.

If you want to pay extra for first class, do so for the extra comfort and amenities, and not because you think it's any safer (it is not)!

Adelaide
Level Contributor
4,621 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trenitalia Trains

Second class is perfectly adequate, and on the fast frecce trains your luggage is stored either overhead, or in the middle of the train. (Between seats or in purpose built luggage racks.) So you can keep an eye on it. We traveled by train throughout Europe, and never had problems with gypsies or any other passengers. However a friend did have his wallet stolen by a kind gentleman who was "helping" him with his luggage. So as others have said, be very wary of people offering help with your bags.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
8,637 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trenitalia Trains

for some info and pictures on the 3 different 'Frecce' trains, see

seat61.com/…20like

If you are travelling from Venice, the only train serving this route is the Frecciabianca type, which has only 2 different classes (first and second). Other destinations within Italy has sometimes a choice of 4 classes.

Wellington, New...
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Trenitalia Trains

Thanks for all your advice. It looks like we will go second class economy and save some $. We will try and get a seat by the luggage compartment to keep an eye on our luggage. Does anyone have any further advice? Does anyone know what part of the carriages the luggage is kept? Also do the seats by the luggage compartments have windows? Would be nice to look out the window at the scenery as we travel.

Thanks again everyone for your advice and let me know if you have any further trips and tricks for travelling on the Trains. We are also travelling on the Trenitalia from Florence to Rome, so any further advice you have on trains would be much appreciated.

I look forward to all your responses.

Kind Regards

Daniel c

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,174 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trenitalia Trains

All the seats have windows but you can't determine in advance which way you will face.

Most often the luggage racks are at each end of the carriage, just through an archway or door. Keep an eye on things until the train pulls out and maybe again at each stop if you are worried about some opportunistic thief getting on-board and quickly off again, but apart from that things will be OK.

Sometimes there is a rack inside the carriage in the middle. There are overhead racks but a small carry-on is all that would fit.

You have an assigned seat and even if one facing the other way looks tempting, it may be booked from the next stop. Use it by all means but be prepared to move back if the owner gets on.

The most common report, though I have not seen it happen myself, is that someone removes small valuables or a purse from the seat while the passenger is busy putting things in the overhead rack. Just take reasonable precautions.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
8,637 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trenitalia Trains

@Daniel C the only suggestion I could make is to check the seating map when you book (not all journeys will come up with this seat selection option). Also, it depends on where you are travelling from Venice.

If you travel from Florence to Rome, you also have the option of using the Italo train, only the arrival station (Rome Tiburtina) is not as convenient as Rome Termini. Italo has a 3 class ticket system.

www.italotreno.it