We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The best five days of my life.

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
218 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
The best five days of my life.

I spent hours on this Forum reading and reading. I read books and guide books. "Venice" by Jan Morris was one of the best books!

I read about vaporetto tickets and crowds of people and the pidgeons on San Marco. Where to eat and where to buy Prosecco.

But nothing, nothing prepared me for the first sight of Venice. When I walked out of the station and saw the Canal and the buildings, I laughed and jumped up and down like a young girl. It took me 56 years to visit Venice and a split second to fall in love.

We bought our 72 hour vaporetto tickets and my son got his Rolling card. Then we walked in bright sunshine to our apartment in Cannaregio. It was just behind Fondamenta de Cannaregio. I smiled all the way to the apartment.

The apartment was huge . We inspected the place and then went out for our first walk.

I was surprised by the amount of ladies dressed in mink coats. And all the dogs!

Found Billa, bought some supplies and wine and Prosecco and headed home .Sat outside on the balcony, eating, drinking and looking at the boats on the little canal.

The days became fluid. We walked miles and climbed thousands of stairs. Got lost a few times. Then found a nice square, drank a beer or two or some prosecco. Ate a pizza or two. We even had some gelato a few times.

Then later, when we couldn't walk any further, we would take the vaporetto home.

We walked the main drag, together with 1000's of other people. We sat at quiet Campo Santa Margherita. (My favourite.) Watching the people walking by, drinking another glass of wine, laughing at some children or dogs.

I spoke to children and owners of dogs.. In Cannaregio, a group of children where playing hide and seek and I helped a girl to block the boys. I helped her because she looked like I did at 10 years of age....black curly hair, a nose just that bit too long and a killer smile.

We walked the quiet squares of Cannaregio and met wonderful people. We got lost in Castello. We ate in expensive(for us) restaurants and we ate cheap pizzas. We had good food and we had not so good food.

We saw Venice in all her glory from the top of the Campanile. We walked slowly by Cafe Florian and peeked at the people inside.

We went to Burano and the Lido. The last one by mistake. We still enjoyed it.

We looked at the Opera House and never missed a church. It was peaceful and quiet and a place to rest my tired feet.

On NYE my son went to San Marco's Square and my husband and I sat on the balcony drinking prosecco. We even saw a few fireworks.

We even crossed the Canal by traghetto. It was fun.

I got quite good at crossing bridges and taking photographs in seconds.

And every evening we took the vaporetto home and then walk to the nearest restaurant for wine and food.

I love Venice with a new found passion.

I whispered goodbye, but I'll be back.

Exeter, United...
Level Contributor
237 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
71. Re: The best five days of my life.

This reminds me of how I felt on my first trip, which sadly was only a day. But my excitement mirrored yours. Out of the two thousand (I was very keen) photographs I took in those two weeks in Europe, over 500 are of my one day in Venice.

Cesena, Italy
Level Contributor
8,726 posts
1,235 reviews
Save Reply
72. Re: The best five days of my life.

excellent

Queensland...
Level Contributor
119 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
73. Re: The best five days of my life.

Shiraz and Otherskins, thank you both for sharing your magic. How can one not yearn to travel after reading your enthusiasm? I've been in love with Venice since the first photo I saw of it. I can't wait to visit all of Italy, especially Venice.

Thank you!

Bedford, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
74. Re: The best five days of my life.

Wow. Your post has me made me so excited. I am going tomorrow!

Cesena, Italy
Level Contributor
8,726 posts
1,235 reviews
Save Reply
75. Re: The best five days of my life.

enjoy there!!!

South Africa
Level Contributor
359 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
76. Re: The best five days of my life.

Hi, thank you for your report.

We are planning to go back towards the end of October/November this year for my 50th.

Venice is very special to us because my husband proposed to me here and we went back for our first wedding anniversary, and went back again ... and now again ... This time, we will spend 10 days in Italy - 2 days in Venice, and still deciding and planning our other days. We want to explore as much as we can on this trip and try to spend 2 days in each place.

Would you mind to send me the details of the apartment that you stayed?

Much appreciated.

Thank you

Cesena, Italy
Level Contributor
8,726 posts
1,235 reviews
Save Reply
77. Re: The best five days of my life.

the apartment in vencie you mean?

5 posts
Save Reply
78. Re: The best five days of my life.

Venice is ok. It's a little too overcrowded and overrated for my taste.

Cesena, Italy
Level Contributor
8,726 posts
1,235 reviews
Save Reply
79. Re: The best five days of my life.

i d search in mestre area... 5 minutes bus from venice but better choice and prices

Seattle
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
9,059 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
80. Re: The best five days of my life.

No, no, no! Do not stay in Meatre to enjoy the magic of Venice!

It is your anniversary and you will want a romantic place, preferably with balcony or rooftop terrace. I hope Shiraz tells you of the apartment they had, but if she doesn't,or if it doesn't suit you there are many others. (Some may have a three-night minimum, however. )

You might start your own post to ask for suggestions. Here is one to start with:

http://www.rosadivenezia.com/en/index.htm

We didn't stay there but I have seen it recommended many times. The apartment we liked was "Lion's House #4" from the Venice Red House company. It has modern furnishings and a rooftop terrace we enjoyed every evening.