We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Carnevale or Later???

Coto de Caza...
Destination Expert
for Amalfi Coast
Level Contributor
2,203 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Carnevale or Later???

I know this is a subjective question but am looking for input/advice re whether to begin upcoming Italy trip in Venice or end it there. If beginning there I'd be arriving on March 2 for 4 nights and catching the tail-end of Carnevale. Just wondering whether the beauty of Venice is enhanced by Carnevale or is it just a giant party scene. Thanks for your input/advice.

Chorley, United...
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
18,726 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Carnevale or Later???

Carnevale does mean that Venice is even fuller of visitors than usual, at least around Piazza San Marco. Further away the other side of the Grand Canal or in areas such as Cannaregio the crowds are no worse than usual.

Personally I prefer better weather than the latter part of winter in Venice but you can be fortunate and have fine days even then.

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
47,332 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Carnevale or Later???

Venice at Carnivale time is expensive, ,to see the beauty of Venice visit afterwards,

Venice, Italy
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
644 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Carnevale or Later???

In recent years Venice has become so over-crowded at carnevale that its impossible to move around properly: if you want to enjoy and appreciate the city, come later.

Rotterdam, The...
Level Contributor
392 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Carnevale or Later???

I absolutely love Venice in winter! Did a few days at carnival time last year just to see it for myself but much prefer it at quieter times, wouldn't do that again. Will be back in a few weeks time just before the whole thing starts again.

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,081 posts
741 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Carnevale or Later???

Experiencing carnivale is once in a life opportunity for those from far away. Might be bister and expensive but for me it was a must. I was there last year. Regardless the bad weather I had a great memory finally becoming a part of it.

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,081 posts
741 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Carnevale or Later???

Some correction due to auto correction: bister = busier.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Holiday Travel, Food and Travel, Macau
Level Contributor
27,777 posts
5,798 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Carnevale or Later???

Venice is definitely busier during Carneval but in addition to the normal tourist attractions, you have the advantage of seeing the many participates walking around in elaborate costumes. They are happy for you to take photographs of them.

This makes for a highly atmospheric and unique experience in my opinion. Here is a link to a pinterest board we put together with some of the Carneval participants from Carneval 2012. Have a look if interested.

pinterest.com/BradJillTA/carnival-in-venice/

Either way, hope you enjoy your trip to Venice

Scotland
Level Contributor
389 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Carnevale or Later???

Was there for carnevale in 2010 and whilst it was amazing to see the crowds were unbearable......heading up the Strada Nova at times there were police directing the foot traffic (a sight I have never seen) don't know if I would go again to be honest at that time but should see it once x

Venice, Italy
Destination Expert
for Venice, City of Venice
Level Contributor
7,774 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Carnevale or Later???

On weekends the police directing foot traffic is not that unusual, particularly in the more crowded areas or at the "tight" spots, and at peak times, where they will often create one-way "detours", splitting the two traffic directions on different routes to facilitate the flow. So sometimes, when you need to go someplace specific, you may need to go WAY out of your way to get there. If you are looking to visit and view Venice, it is not a good time. If you want to see Carnival, it is the only choice and can be very enjoyable.

Coto de Caza...
Destination Expert
for Amalfi Coast
Level Contributor
2,203 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Carnevale or Later???

Thanks to everyone for weighing in. These responses are very helpful. I've decided that my "dream" of Venezia will be better realized during non-Carnevale dates so the first trip will happen at a slower time of year. And then I'll have to set my sights on a return trip! Thanks again, all.