We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Venice Car Rental

Which Venice hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Poughquag, New York
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Venice Car Rental

I will be driving with my father and sisters (all adults) from Venice to Florence (we have a hotel there that has valet car service so parking will not be a problem) and then up the coast to Milan.

I am comfortable driving in Manhattan traffic as well as through the countryside, so I am not worried about that. I have also driven in Paris, and I drive a manual transmission.

I have a few questions I hope to get help with:

1. Are some car rental companies more reputable than others? I have heard that it is safer to go with an American car rental company rather than a European one. Is there any truth to this?

2. Is there a good place (I assume just outside of) Venice to rent a vehicle?

3. Is the only place in Milan to return at the airport? I will be spending 2 nights there and am trying to decide if it will be better to drop my family off, return the car (hopefully in the city but if not at the airport), and then just take public transport to the airport 2 days later, or to keep the car and drive it to the airport and return it the morning of our flight. I'd rather not do this if I don't have to. Ideally there will be a return facility in the city rather than all the way out at the airport. But I presume not?

Thanks so much for any help/advice you can give.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,113 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Venice Car Rental

While the names may be the same, the operators of companies such as Hertz and Avis will be Italian. Nevertheless, it is best to choose a well known company wherever you hire a car. Go through Autoeurope or Driveaway for the best prices.

Cars can be picked up at Piazzale Roma, directly across the square from the vaporetto stop.

There will be multiple places to return a car in Milan. In order to avoid the ZTLs you may need to choose carefully.

In Florence it can be difficult to drive without wandering into a bus lane or a ZTL. It is not the parking per se, it is inadvertently driving in the wrong place and being photographed and fined.

Hotels can USUALLY arrange for you to enter a ZTL for the purposes of unloading/loading if you inform them in advance. Check with them.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g187893-c140065/Tusca…

Edited: 15 January 2014, 04:07
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
82,301 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Venice Car Rental

So far as I know, there are no American car rental companies in Italy. Some may have a familiar name, but they are run by Italian companies. A reputable agency that arranges cheap rentals with the major companies is www.autoeurope.com

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Venice, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
7,442 posts
441 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Venice Car Rental

Contact AutoEurope, American broker situated in Maine, by phone (do not just surf the website). They will shop the best deal and terms for you, and you will pick up your rental car at Piazzale Rome on your way out of Venice. The actual rental company may be Europcar, Hertz or Avis. You will also have a pre-arranged drop off point. You will pre-pay the transaction in $$. The huge advantage is that if, G-d forbid, something should happen to the car while you are on your holiday, you will deal with an American company which will take care of your problem.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
685 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Venice Car Rental

In some of the forums there is advice to avoid one or another of the car rental agencies. Does this apply at all in Venice ....or are Hertz, EuropCar, Avis, Budget pretty much all the same in terms of customer service, etc.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,113 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Venice Car Rental

I thin you can find rants and complaints against every car rental company ever, including the big ones.

Use a well known company, check the car for damage on pick-up, make sure you have appropriate collision damage waiver, return the car on-time and reasonably clean and full of gas, get it checked back in and signed off and all will be well.

Holmfirth, United...
Level Contributor
17 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Venice Car Rental

Do NOT use maggiore car hire! They fraudulently robbed us by claiming we returned the car missing 6 ltrs of fuel despite having a return slip showing it was full! They cannot be trusted.

7. Re: Venice Car Rental

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 September 2015, 05:15