We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Italy in April

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
2 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Italy in April

We are planning a 10 to 12 day trip to Italy in April, 2013, The cities we are planning to see are Rome, Florence and Venice. I am concerned that April is too early to visit Venice because it will be damp and chilly. In looking through forums, I have seen Milan recommended, alhough my husband really wants to see Venice.

Could we see anything of Milan if we took a day trip by train from Florence will we are there?

Benson, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,248 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Italy in April

Not really, IMO....

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
24,736 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Italy in April

Venice is venice -- nothing else like it. It is charming winter or summer or spring or fall. If someone longs to see Venice, Milan is not even close. My bigger concern would be having so little time for 3 major stops -- but 2 nights and a full day in Venice would give you 5 nights and 4 days in each of the other main destination which is a nice taste on a first trip. If you wanted you would have time for a bus day trip to Siena and a public transport day trip in Rome to Ostia Antica.

you could do a day trip to Milan but it would be way down the list of day trips I would take from Florence. Siena IMHO is the big winner here and Lucca is another nice trip.

April is likely to be chilly and rainy which just means to be prepared with appropriate layers of clothing and rain gear.

Edited: 17 January 2014, 22:09
Evanston, Illinois
Level Contributor
33 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Italy in April

So I have a quick question, we are going to Venice in April as well and wondering if we should go there first during Easter weekend or second just afterwards starting on Monday? We heard that the end of Carnevale might be crazy busy? Any thoughts? Thanks for letting me jump in…sorry.

Wantagh, New York
Level Contributor
1,998 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Italy in April

I have been to Venice in April several times...weather could go either way....I would plan it for the last part of your trip...end it there so it is towards the nicer weather though nothing is a guarantee. Start in Rome....and fly home from Venice.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,073 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Italy in April

I was in Venice the end of March in 2010 and the weather was pleasant and no rain. It was not chilly or damp.

I was also just there for the month of December and the weather was much warmer than anticipated with only light rain on two days in the entire month.

As I'm sure you know the weather is strange all over the world and unpredictable.

Whatever cities you visit at that time of year can be chilly and damp or gloriously beautiful so just plan layers and a light raincoat just in case.

Have a wonderful trip.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,073 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Italy in April

In response to Needtogetaway2, if you are going in April you have no worries about Carnevale...since it is in February.

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,691 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Italy in April

I went to Venice in April 2012 for 10 days. it was not chilly at all. Wisteria were blooming. It was warm enough that mosquitos came into our apt because I was too warm to leave the windows shut at night. It rained or drizzled on 2 days out the 10 that we were there.

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
46,650 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Italy in April

April I have found to be a lovely time, comfortable temperatures , always be prepared for rain, but that can apply any time,

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
7,003 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Italy in April

I agree with nos 7 and 8 re April weather - maybe we've just been lucky, but we have always found it pleasant - sunny and often quite warm.

10. Re: Italy in April

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 January 2015, 05:18