We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

For RobertJ, strange question about something in Milan

Houston
Level Contributor
947 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
For RobertJ, strange question about something in Milan

Hi, Robert. I'm posting this here since I don't know if you check the Milan forum, but I know from your comments that you know a lot about Milan. While we were in Milan a few weeks ago, we walked through the Galleria and noticed a very strange "picture" on the floor in the center. It looked to be humans nursing from a wild animal. My daughter kept asking me what it was, what it meant, and why on earth anyone would put something so disgusting in such a beautiful place. Do you know what I'm talking about and if so, do you know the history behind it? If I knew what to call it, I could do a google search. Thanks.

Coeur D'alene, Idaho
Level Contributor
591 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: For RobertJ, strange question about something in Milan

Just in case your post gets missed by RobertJ -

Here's a link to a photo of what you were looking at. http://www.bluffton.edu/~sullivanm/italy/milan/galleria/galleria2.html

It was Romulus and Remus nursing on a wolf. They were the twin brothers who, according to legend founded the city of Rome.

If you're interested, more on the story can be found here -

…about.com/cs/…mythslegends_3.htm

Houston
Level Contributor
947 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: For RobertJ, strange question about something in Milan

Thanks, KirkandMimi. I will definitely check that out. I appreciate the response and the link.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
474 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: For RobertJ, strange question about something in Milan

Pretty sure we had to translate this story in Latin III (senior year of high school)

Chorley, United...
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
18,687 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: For RobertJ, strange question about something in Milan

Sorry to be so long replying to your query which has been aswered by now. I was busy with a Committee meeting last night so did not look at my computer and have only just woken up (it is 6.55 a.m. in England). The suckling of human children by wild animals occurs widely in European mythology and has all sorts of implications. The one in the Galleria is the myth prevalent in Italy since the early days of the Roman Empire as others have already said. Romulus and Remus, the supposed founders of Rome.

5. Re: For RobertJ, strange question about something in Milan

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 July 2006, 19:24