We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bathtubs

Santa Monica...
Level Contributor
76 posts
145 reviews
Save Topic
Bathtubs

Hello, Italian experts. I am curious about the kind of bathtub I have seen in Italy (and France, for that matter) that has a hand-held shower head but no shower curtain. You cannot stand up to shower because water would be all over the floor. How are you supposed to use this type of bathtub? Sit down in it, and use the hand-held shower head? I am of a certain age that it is difficult to sit down in the tub. I am not complaining, I know American style showers are not the norm, but I am just curious about the best way to get clean in these tubs!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41,755 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Bathtubs

I haven't had one of those types in years - every where I have been staying for many years/trip have all had showers with shower head, I think one or two with a hand held one but I was in a shower stall so I didn't need to sit for it. I have only had a bathtub in a few places and those included a regular shower.

You will find what you need just by looking at a hotel's website.

Victoria, Australia
Level Contributor
2,526 posts
286 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bathtubs

Never seen such a thing in lots of travel around Italy. Where the shower is in the bath there has always been some sort of screen to stop water going everywhere, sometimes not perfect, but there is always something there.

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
33,273 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bathtubs

If there is a hand-held shower like that, and no shower curtain, it would normally be for hair-washing, leaning over the bath - the bath itself being where you wash your body. Nowadays, you often find this type AS WELL AS an overhead shower, for extra flexibility, child-washing etc.. In any case, these days, if you have booked a room with a shower, it will almost certainly be a stand-up shower, even if this is over the bath - with a screen or curtain - instead of "Italian-style" (which refers to a large, walk-in shower, separate from the bath and without a shower curtain because essentially a wet room).

Santa Monica...
Level Contributor
76 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bathtubs

The bathtub type I wrote about WAS on the hotel's website -- Palazzo Guardi in Venice. I suppose I can write the hotel and ask if I can have a room with a stand-up type shower. I also encountered this type of bathtub at the College Hotel in Lyon, France, and at a chateau in Bretteville-sur-Laize in Normandy.

Miami Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
2,344 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bathtubs

I hadn't had one of those in many years also and thought they were obsolete, but my last trip to Venice last March my room had one of those. Yeah, you have to sit in the tub or the bathroom gets soaked.

United States
Level Contributor
9,727 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bathtubs

I have just pointed the spray towards the wall to minimize the water on the floor. Sometime you just have to go with the learning curve to find out what works. I find that the tubs with the half glass walls that swings in and out are also a potential for building a swamp.

TAB

Santa Monica...
Level Contributor
76 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bathtubs

I am not so worried about water on the floor (except in the Chateau, whose floors were wood, in which case I avoided bathing at all until I reached the next town, for fear of ruining the old flooring). I am more concerned because I am physically not comfortable with sitting in the tub (and don't think it is hygienic). In Lyon, a plastic seat was provided, which helped some. But I've written to the hotel to ask for a stand-up shower stall, if they have one.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
80 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Bathtubs

I checked photos of the hotel here on tripadvisor and there seems to be a curtain in most of their bathrooms. You can always point the shower head towards the wall though, as previously said. Otherwise ask specifically for a room with a shower curtain in the bathroom. They also seem to have shower cubes as well.

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Venice, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
9,555 posts
486 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bathtubs

I have seen them and struggled with one at a cousin's house in Provence. How do you manage? Carefully and even then I had water spraying out all over the place. It is not convenient, even if you can sit in the tub. I can offer no other suggestion but to make certain that the room you are staying in has a stall shower with a curtain or a door.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,427 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bathtubs

I tend to pick up the head and turn the shower on; wet myself all over with the shower directed at my front and with my back to the wall. Turn the shower off. Soap or flannel all over. Turn on the shower and rinse off in the same way as wetting yourself down. Some mess, but minimal.

Now go to Greece where the shower hob is about 2 ft square with an overhead shower head and there is no curtain. It gives a new meaning to a wet room. Plus you dispose of toilet paper in a bin instead of down the loo. By such differences is our world made interesting!