We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Eating experiences! Restaurants, cafes off the beaten path?

Eagle River, Alaska
Level Contributor
66 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Eating experiences! Restaurants, cafes off the beaten path?

My family and I (husband and 2 kids 18 and 9) will be travelling to Italy in June. My husband and I are foodies and NOT al ALL interested in eating in tourist traps! Would you recommend some wonderful places to eat, off the beaten path....holes in the wall....little gems if you will?!! Everything from coffee and pastries in the morning. For lunch: a sack lunch to be eaten on a hike, in the car, on a beach, in a park, or great pizza places, etc. Dinner can be anything from a basic cheaply priced meal to a splurge meal of fine dinning. And dessert?...Pastries again! Or gelato! We love the EXPERIENCE as well as great food and wine, so location, views, ambiance, character and quirkiness are very welcome! Thanks in advance for any help! And if you need more info, just ask!

I'm so excited I could EXPLODE!!!!!

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
80 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Eating experiences! Restaurants, cafes off the beaten path?

You can go to Pizza al Volo at Campo Santa Margherita. It's take away only, you can take your pizza and eat it sitting on a bench at the campo, watching the world go by. Venice is not known for its pizza, but this place *almost* competes Naples.

Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Rio de Janeiro
Level Contributor
21,650 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Eating experiences! Restaurants, cafes off the beaten path?

You might like Rosticceria Gislon (Calle de la Bissa 5424 | Campo San Bartolomeo):

http://bit.ly/1bii4rl

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
47,325 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Eating experiences! Restaurants, cafes off the beaten path?

Maybe an idea to buy Michela Scibilia book Venice Osterie, will give lots of ideas, cheaper to buy in Venice,

Venice, Italy
Destination Expert
for Venice, City of Venice
Level Contributor
7,772 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Eating experiences! Restaurants, cafes off the beaten path?

I agree on the Michela Scibilia book. I have one of the earliest editions, but still run into her every now and then running into someplace, camera in hand, to update for a new edition. I recently read her newest "Venezia low cost" (only in Italian, I believe) and she is still spot on and enjoyable to read.

From the description you provide I would definitely suggest a "giro di bacari" (pub crawl) around the Rialto market area. Or two. Or three. That is an area very rich with variety, and each bacaro has its own specialties and variations. My personal favorite, from when I lived around the corner years ago, is All'Arco. Even though it seems that Francesco's young son Matteo is now doing most of the cichetti, or maybe because, it is still wonderful, as he is a bit more creative than his parents (that are still running it as they have for at least a couple decades).

And then search out the other specialties, like the wonderful cichetti made by the Siora at Cantinone Già Schiavi insatiable-critic.com/Images/…20Venice.jpg followed by a Gianduiotto da passeggio at gelateria Da Nico (a super-frozen hazelnut ice cream brick drowned in a sea of fresh home-made whipped cream) wandering along the Zattere. Da Nico is also a wonderful place to sit out on the dock and enjoy an "eis caffé" (iced-coffee ice cream float), even if it does cost more, just sitting watching the boats on the Giudecca Canal and the people wandering the Zattere on a sunny June day is magic.

Da Marisa, on the Cannaregio canal, is mostly frequented by locals at lunch time, and while not "gourmet" (unadorned butcher paper placemats), is actually very authentically homestyle cooking for Venice (much like my mother-in-law and other Venetian relatives usually cook when eating at their homes).

Don't forget to ask for suggestions of house wines or special suggestions. Many places (bacari, wine-bars, osterie, etc.) will often have differnt wines from the usual list.

One of my favorites is a prosecco spento (produced with little or no bubbles), or any number of "green" wines produced with bio-criteria in small amounts in Veneto or Friuli, or produced just for them and a handful of other clients. One of my favorites at one bacaro I'd pass every once in a while used to be a Ribolla Gialla Spumantizzata (bubbly) but they only had a limited supply. Luckily not many knew to ask for it, since it was not a usual offering.

Independence, Kansas
Level Contributor
1,917 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Eating experiences! Restaurants, cafes off the beaten path?

We stayed across from the train station at the Gardena Hotel, facing the Rio de Tolentini canal. Easily walkable from the Santa Lucia train station. Up the canal past the hotel about 100 meters is Bacareto da Lele, the best wine bar in Venice. Open at 0600 with breakfast sandwiches for 1 Euro and less, plus coffee. Takeaway only but lunch sandwiches are .70 Euro and wine is 1 Euro, soft drinks too. Same prices for dinner. Filled with locals from early to late, around 2200. You can eat in the nearby church courtyard or along the canal. A bit further up is a hole in the wall Murano glass shop with custom pieces for way less than anywhere else. It's right across the canal from Hotel Falier. St. Marks is a few minutes away by vaporetto. Worked for us.

Eagle River, Alaska
Level Contributor
66 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Eating experiences! Restaurants, cafes off the beaten path?

Thank you so much , everyone, for the informative responses so far!

Tidewater Virginia
Level Contributor
268 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Eating experiences! Restaurants, cafes off the beaten path?

We really loved Vino Vino, which is next to the Fenice opera house.

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Venice, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
9,718 posts
508 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Eating experiences! Restaurants, cafes off the beaten path?

Rosticceria Gislon is a great spot! You will have to try fried custard!!

I think I saw a newer edition of Michela Scibilia's book on Amazon.com and there is also the favorite Chow!Venice. Also, search this forum for numerous threads re cichetti bars. You are also welcome to click on my avatar and read reviews of Venice restaurants from our last trip this past December.

As a general rule, not much in Venice is off the beaten track and not all restaurants patronized by tourists are traps, but there are definitely better and worse places to eat.

9. Re: Eating experiences! Restaurants, cafes off the beaten path?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 February 2015, 06:18