We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Picking up ÖBB Euronight tickets at Santa Lucia (where?)

Which Venice hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
7 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Picking up ÖBB Euronight tickets at Santa Lucia (where?)

We are taking the Euronight train from Venice to Vienna in late March. I have a ticket confirmation email from ÖBB with a code for picking up the tickets, but I have seen no indication that there is an ÖBB ticket machine or counter at Santa Lucia. Does anyone know where specifically I will go to pick up the tickets?

29 replies to this topic
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
8,751 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Picking up ÖBB Euronight tickets at Santa Lucia (where?)

What exactly is the instruction in the email? If it is a PNR number with your booking name, I think you would pick it up from a Trenitalia ticket machine. Just a bit of warning, some of these machines are rather slow, so do give it time to retrieve the booking. I am wondering why you did not book from the Italian side if no e-ticket is issued.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
7 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Picking up ÖBB Euronight tickets at Santa Lucia (where?)

All it says is:

Your collection code is: (code)

You can now collect the ticket you bought online at ÖBB manned ticket counters or at ÖBB ticket vending machines.

Your ticket is available for collection in 15 minutes time.

This train is operated by ÖBB so I didn't realize it was possible to book through the "Italian side". Is Trentitalia partnered with ÖBB? If so then you're probably right about using their machines.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
8,751 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Picking up ÖBB Euronight tickets at Santa Lucia (where?)

Unfortunately, there has been a history of 'non-cooperation' from the Italians with regards to journey between Italy and Austria, to the extent that a direct train from Vienna to Venice has only just been re-commenced last December (previously, all trains finished at Villach, with the journey from Villach to Venice done by Austrian railways bus).

That is why we have recommended purchasing from the originating country in the past. In this case, since it is operated by OEBB, it should not be a problem.

I hope the PNR works on the Trenitalia ticket machines.

I think this is the train (listed as operated jointly by Trenitalia and OEBB)

www.vagonweb.cz/razeni/vlak.php…

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
7 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Picking up ÖBB Euronight tickets at Santa Lucia (where?)

Thanks for your input. I have sent an email to OBB asking what I should do. If I can't pick them up from the Trentitalia machines, I will ask OBB to mail the tickets to me. At the VERY WORST, I also have a friend in Vienna who could collect and mail the tickets to me.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
7 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Picking up ÖBB Euronight tickets at Santa Lucia (where?)

I also forgot to add that my collection code begins with the letters "TI" so maybe it's meant for Trentitalia after all.

Venice
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
9,047 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Picking up ÖBB Euronight tickets at Santa Lucia (where?)

TI or IT ? .... It does seem silly that you cannot pick up tickets in Italy for a train starting in Venice , seeing that so much is done on line you would have thought that this would have been considered. There are manned ticket desks at the station and there used to be one specifically for international services , however with the new layout of the station I have not checked if this is still the case. There are 'human' desks however !

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
28,450 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Picking up ÖBB Euronight tickets at Santa Lucia (where?)

t may seem silly that you can't pick up tickets in Italy, but the technology is complex and it is quite likely that you cannot do so, as clearly suggested by the wording on the OBB website.

Certainly check with OBB, but I do hope that you have bought refundable tickets.

Quainton, United...
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
7,781 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Picking up ÖBB Euronight tickets at Santa Lucia (where?)

I'm glad you have a fall-back!

Unfortunately it's not silly, but logical.

If you buy from Austrian Railways and don't get a print-at-home ticket, you have to collect from an Austrian Railways station staffed with Austrian Railways staff equipped with the Austrian Railways OBB ticketing system, on which your Austrian Railways reservation is made.

Venice is in Italy, the station is an Italian Trenitalia station wholly staffed by Trenitalia staff equipped only with the Trenitalia ticketing system and with only Trenitalia self-service machines, and neither staff nor machines will have any knowledge of a reservation made on the neighbouring OBB system. You won't find Austrian ticket machines or staff installed at an Italian station, or vice versa.

It's the same between Zurich and Milan. You can book at the Swiss Railways site www.sbb.ch with collection at Swiss stations, or at www.trenitalia.com with collection at Italian stations. But if you book Zurich to Milan southbound with Trenitalia, there's no way to get the ticket without going to Italy first.

And it's the same between, say, Budapest and Prague. Journeys starting in Prague must be booked at the Czech website, those starting in Budapest at the Hungarian website, as Hungarian internet collection machines are only installed at Hungarian stations.

So it's pretty much a general rule for train booking of international trains that you book with the rail operator for the country where your journey train starts, EXCEPT when you get print-at-home tickets which can be used in either direction (and even some of those can't, as they need to be validated by a conductor in the issuing country who has access to that country's internet bookings database, before the train is handed over to the neighbouring country's staff)

However I thought OBB issued print-at-home for the direct trains it runs to and from Venice, and in this case could be used in either direction. Was this not an option?

Anyway, if your friend can collect the tickets, you should have a great trip!

Edited: 04 February 2014, 09:35
Venice
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
9,047 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Picking up ÖBB Euronight tickets at Santa Lucia (where?)

Sorry I don't find it logical at all . If airlines can manage it , and coaches then isn't it about time trains did as well ?

Note this comment is not made at anyone in particular just a personal thought !

Edited: 04 February 2014, 09:44
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
83,821 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Picking up ÖBB Euronight tickets at Santa Lucia (where?)

Well, no. The airlines cannot manage it. If you buy a ticket from Ryanair, you cannot collect it from easyJet.

Reply to: Picking up ÖBB Euronight tickets at Santa Lucia (where?)
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted