We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flying to Italy to get to Venice Cruise Ship area

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
23 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Flying to Italy to get to Venice Cruise Ship area

Hello, I am flying from the US to Italy, in order to get to the Venice cruise area. It seems the best way is to fly to Milan's LIN and then take a 2.5 hour train ride to the Venice train station that is near the cruise. Does this sound correct? From what I'm reading, going into MXP is not an option because it takes 50 minutes just to get from the airport to the actual train station.

Can someone please confirm if this is correct? Thank you!

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
3,853 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Flying to Italy to get to Venice Cruise Ship area

I take it you've ruled out flights to Venice? There are no direct flights from the US to Linate - there are a couple of airlines that could get you connecting flights, but I imagine the fares are much cheaper to Malpensa, or alternately, a connecting flight to Venice or somewhere closer.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
9,015 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flying to Italy to get to Venice Cruise Ship area

"It seems the best way is to fly to Milan's LIN"

I feel that statement is so misleading I wonder who gave you that information in the first place.

Why not fly direct to Venice Marco Polo, or is there another reason which you did not provide in your post?

If you fly to Venice, the options for public transport are:

- take an ATVO bus to Mestre railway station, timetable

atvo.it/images_doc/linee/Linea_35_b_-__Mestr…

- take a land taxi directly to the cruise port (Stazione Marittima)

here is a guide:

europeforvisitors.com/venice/articles/venice…

OR, take a bus to Piazzale Roma, and then a people mover to the cruise port

europeforvisitors.com/venice/articles/venice…

another diagram showing the People Mover

livingveniceblog.com/venice-instructions/…

Edited: 13 February 2014, 19:57
New York City, New...
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Flying to Italy to get to Venice Cruise Ship area

This is his wife responding :) We don't want to fly into Venice because in order for us to get to Venice, we have 20 hours worth of travel between transfers and such. There are not direct flights into Venice. The layovers are quite extensive. So, our best bet is to fly to Milan...(or at least that's what we think.) Is there another international airport near Venice that you rec that we might be able to fly to from NYC?

Chorley, United...
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
18,612 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flying to Italy to get to Venice Cruise Ship area

There are several direct flights from the USA, without any need to change flights, to Marco Polo airport on the banks of the Venetian lagoon. Then it is only a 20 minutes taxi/bus/coach ride to Piazzale Roma in Venice proper or a more romantic voyage across the lagoon either by the Alilaguna ferry (www.alilaguna.it) to one of several landing stages in Venice or a more expensive but faster voyage in a private water taxi direct to your Hotel. A private water taxi can be booked at one of two desks in the Arrivals hall at Marco Polo.

Edited: 13 February 2014, 20:05
Chorley, United...
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
18,612 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flying to Italy to get to Venice Cruise Ship area

No direct flights from anywhere in the USA, let alone New York, to Venice Marco Polo anymore? If you really have to suffer the great inconvenience of flying into Milan Malpensa then apart from Milan being an interesting city in its own right and well worth a few days, you can take a train or a bus direct from Malpensa into Milan and then take a fast train from Milan Central to Venice Santa Lucia which i would have thought not too laborious.

New York City, New...
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Flying to Italy to get to Venice Cruise Ship area

Not sure about the rest of the US, but there are no flights from the three major airports in the NYC area where we live. So are you saying Milan Malensa is an easier train ride than Linate? How hard is it to get to the cruise area from Linate? Thanks in advance for your help!!

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
3,853 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Flying to Italy to get to Venice Cruise Ship area

I presume you're flying from NY.

There are direct flights (seasonal at least) from JFK to VCE on Delta. These tend to be much more expensive than the Milan flights.

MXP will allow you direct flights, which ultimately will save you a lot of time over connecting flights to LIN.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
3,853 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Flying to Italy to get to Venice Cruise Ship area

" So are you saying Milan Malensa is an easier train ride than Linate?"

It's not that Malpensa is shorter train ride, it's that there are no direct flights from the US to Linate, so you'll be spending far longer connecting somewhere than you would save on the train ride.

Benson, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,244 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Flying to Italy to get to Venice Cruise Ship area

We are flying direct from new york city to Venice so I am not sure why you can't find a flight. When are you going?

Benson, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,244 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Flying to Italy to get to Venice Cruise Ship area

PS if you are willing to take a train from Milan to Venice you might also check direct planes from Philadelphia and from Boston to Venice...those are both shortish train rides in the states...