We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A little advice please

Which Venice hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Level Contributor
27 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
A little advice please

Hi

Anniversary coming up and thought i would suprise my wife with a trip to Venice. I have no idea about good location of hotel and what to see or where to go. I want to spend £200 - £300 a night on a hotel and is there something in particular i should try to book be it theatre or opera, excuse my ignorance

Thanks for your advice

cheers

maartin

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
46,139 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A little advice please

You do not say when, but your budget is not bad, you should get somewhere nice for that,

Venice is not big do not worry too much re location, but do get a guide book to see what Venice has to offer and what you feel appeals to you,

Have a look at www.venere.com see what is available for your date and budget,

Chorley, United...
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
18,506 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A little advice please

All Venice is very safe and secure and all areas contain much of interest for visitors so you can hardly go wrong about your choice of location

Much depends on what your interests may be. My wife and I have special interests in art and in church architecture so for the past decade or so we have stayed in Dorsoduro though in earlier visits we have stayed all over Venice. Dorsoduro contains the major art galleries - the Accademia, Ca'Rezzonico and the Peggy Guggenheim Museum of Modern Art as well as superb churches such as San Sebastiano and Santa Maria della Salute whilst the Frari and the Scuola Grande di San Rocco.

Other people regard the area around Piazza San Marco with the Basilica, the Doge's Palace and the Correr Museum as a desirable area to stay in.

But wherever you stay Venice is readily walkable as distances are never great and in any case if walking is a problem, as it is for me nowadays, there is an excellent public transport system in the water buses (vaporetti)

If you are interested in opera the major opera house is La Fenice so look at their website (www.teatrolafenice.it) to see what their programme might be when you are in Venice and if seats are available - it does book up quickly for popular operas or concerts. Dress at La Fenice is optional so you will get tourists in very casual dress but also locals and some tourists with ladies wearing their very best designer outfits and men in sharp suits. La Fencie, well restored after the disastrous fire a few years ago, is a lovely opera house.

Your budget should get you pleasant accommodation though you always need to book well ina dvance for any Venice Hotel to ge the better, or indeed any, rooms as demand is high during all popular holiday periods. If you check on the Venice Hotels button on the left of thsi page you will s details of Hotels an user reviews which should be read with care.

If you have more detailed queries I suggest you send me a personal message.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
6,685 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A little advice please

As Sophie says, that sort of budget should buy you a room in a good hotel - there are plenty to choose from, but make sure you stay in the historic centre and not in Mestre or on the Lido.

La Fenice is one of the most famous theatres/opera houses in the world, and is also one of the most beautiful. Attending a performance there is a special experience. See http://www.teatrolafenice.it/site/index.php

4. Re: A little advice please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 February 2015, 05:23