We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Question on Venice Free Guide and Murano and Burano

US
Level Contributor
427 posts
Save Topic
Question on Venice Free Guide and Murano and Burano

I have 2 1/2 full days (4 if you count traveling days) in Venice.

I know I won't be going into any main attractions - Dodges etc.

I just plan to wander the streets and have absolutely no planed itinerary yet.

I was thinking of devoting 1 day or at least half a day to Murano and Burano.

I am not specifically interested in lace or glass making but I do love the colorful house of Burano though. More of the ambiance of the whole place and perhaps have a bite there. I kinda like the idea of less people yet in those islands. I may have a quick look see at the lace and glass making but don't intend to buy anything. I am not sure if I am picturing things correctly.

Would it still be worth for me to go to these 2 islands?

How many hours should I set aside for these 2 islands?

Or do you think the 2 1/2 days should be set aside to wander around Venice only?

The colorful houses look really cheerful, special and picturesque though.

Any advice?

Oh also... I will be joining a free tour (because I hate to commit to a tour time) so I just signed up for one and if it doesn't work for my family, I may have to bail. (Guess I have been stuck too many times with paid tours that are just not worth my money and time). I would like an introduction to Venice. Do you think it is a good idea to take these free tours?

Edited: 21 February 2014, 06:53
UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
47,087 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Question on Venice Free Guide and Murano and Burano

There is plenty to see in Venice itself , you are not there long, I would not bother going to the Islands

as for the free tour you have nothing to loose, but I do think it a good idea before you go to buy a guide book to see what Venice offers, better than just wandering blindly,,

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,926 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Question on Venice Free Guide and Murano and Burano

Hulahoop, we are in the same boat, with two and a half days in Venice, could possible add an extra morning if we want as trains aren't booked yet.

We also would love to see Burano particularly and also Murano.

Realistically how long would it take to get the vaporetto to both of the islands and spend 30-60 minutes wandering around? Could it be done in half a day?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
87,578 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Question on Venice Free Guide and Murano and Burano

You need at least a half day to see Murano and Burana, especially as having got to Burano, you should take the extra small journey to see Torcello.

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
47,087 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Question on Venice Free Guide and Murano and Burano

I would agree Torcello is worth a visit if you do the Islands , but really unless you are especially into glass,

would not bother with Murano,

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
7,194 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Question on Venice Free Guide and Murano and Burano

I suspect that your free tour will be one which takes you to the glass workshops on Murano, where you will watch a demonstration of glass blowing and then be led to the showroom and shop to spend a large amount of money on some (IMO) tacky glassware. So be wary!

Burano is worth a half-day visit, though, but there's no need to sign up for a tour - you can get yourself there easily on the vaporetto.

Chorley, United...
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
18,687 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Question on Venice Free Guide and Murano and Burano

A "free" tour seems unlikely unless, as has been said, it is a boat out to Murano. These are organised purely to get you into one of the glass factories where you will have an opportunity to see glass-blowers at work but afterwards comes the hard sell and you may well then be left to make your own way back to Venice on the standard water bus service for which you will have to pay.

It is sensible before you set out on a visit to Venice to read through a good guide book. I lik the Venice books published by DK and Time Out and for one published in the USA I like the volume produced by Knopf.

To go out to Murano by yourself take any 4.1 or 4.2 water bus, both lines circulate one clockwise and one anti-clockwise around Venice and go out to all 6 landing stages on Murano. On Murano the church of Santi Maria e Donato with its wpnderful mosaic floor, nearly a 1,000 years old, is well worth a visit.

For Burano take the No 12 water bus from Fondamenta Nove which calls at the faro landing stage on Murano before going on to Mazzorbo before reaching Burano. There are some excellent seafood restaurants on Burano so a good place for lunch

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
47,087 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Question on Venice Free Guide and Murano and Burano

I was more under impression the poster was talking about the Free tours by students in Venice, not the Hotel/ Water Taxi trip to a Glass factory, may be wrong,

Maryland
Level Contributor
520 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Question on Venice Free Guide and Murano and Burano

We also have 3 days in Venice and am considering a visit to Burano, mainly to see the colorful houses and town, but am not sure is I should as we don't have a lot of time in Venice. Can the Burano trip be done in half a day or would it take longer? Thanks!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
87,578 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Question on Venice Free Guide and Murano and Burano

See reply #3. Please do read all the posts on a thread before you ask a question that has already been answered.

Maryland
Level Contributor
520 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Question on Venice Free Guide and Murano and Burano

Sorry sydneynick, I did read the posts but then ended up asking the same question, my apologies:)