We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transportation question from TSF aiport to St Marks Square

Which Venice hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
143 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Transportation question from TSF aiport to St Marks Square

I will be arriving on Ryanair and will need transportation to get to our hotel.

Ryanair has bus service, about 1 hr and ten minutes to "Venice City Centre."

Is that the same area?

I was in Venice a few years ago and we arrived by train, lugged our bags up a steep bridge and we were there!

Is that the same area or do I need additional transportation to get from "Venice City Centre" to our hotel?

Thanks!

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
46,147 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transportation question from TSF aiport to St Marks Square

Treviso Airport to Venice by atvo Bus does not take that long approx minutes at the most, depends what you mean by City centre presume San Marco,, the Bus goes to Piazzale Roma the terminus for motor vehicles in Venice, there is a good Vaporetto service to whatever area you wish to go to,

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
83,967 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transportation question from TSF aiport to St Marks Square

Piazzale Roma, where the bus terminates, is just across the canal from the western side of the train station.

Edited: 04 March 2014, 21:57
UK
Level Contributor
1,592 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transportation question from TSF aiport to St Marks Square

If you told us the name of your hotel, we could be more precise. Alternatively, your hotel's website (assuming it has one) will certainly have directions on how to get there from Piazzale Roma. I wouldn't call Piazzale Roma "Venice City Centre", but Ryanair is (in)famous for giving the name of a city to an airport that is miles away from it, so I guess this is more of the same.

Venice, Italy
Destination Expert
for Venice, City of Venice
Level Contributor
7,555 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Transportation question from TSF aiport to St Marks Square

"Venice City Center" refers to the "historical center (centro storico)", as opposed to the municipality of Venice, which includes the mainland. It doesn't necessarily mean the "center of the historical center", in common usage.

UK
Level Contributor
1,592 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Transportation question from TSF aiport to St Marks Square

But to a non-Venetian, someone who doesn't know that Mestre can call itself "Venice", "Venice City Centre" would be taken to mean the centre of Venice - not necessarily the mathematical centre, but the heart of the city, which most people would regard as Piazza San Marco.

Venice, Italy
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,555 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Transportation question from TSF aiport to St Marks Square

'But to a non-Venetian, ..."Venice City Centre" [sic] would be taken to mean the centre of Venice'

I can't help what any of the 5-6+ billion people on this planet might think about a certain phrase, just what might be reasonable when taken in context, for someone that is actually interested in finding out about Venice.

Many people are still convinced that the land mass of Venice is still sinking (it's more romantic that way, very "Atlantis"-like), though they discovered the cause and resolved the problem decades ago (un-ecological draining of the water table under the lagoon, btw).

In many (not a few, but many) water-sided cities the term "water-taxi" is taken as a form of reasonably priced public transportation or excursion boats for a number of people ranging from 20 to 200. In Venice it does not mean that at all, but rather the speed-boat equivalent of a limousine in most cities, in terms of cost, at least. Does that mean they (meaning all the non-Venetians) are wrong? or Venice (since it is in the minority)? Or Venice is correct? and the others are wrong (since none of the others have run their own Republic for more then a Millennium)? (though to be honest, for most of that time they didn't use water-taxis, only gondole, but Venetians have long memories, in general... and are very convincing).

Venice, Italy
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,555 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Transportation question from TSF aiport to St Marks Square

Besides, I don't think that San Marco has much more claim to being the center than Rialto does, as it is a much more recent power center than Rialto used to be (though I mean centuries, not years or decades).

8. Re: Transportation question from TSF aiport to St Marks Square

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 March 2015, 05:28