We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Murano/Burano

york pa
Level Contributor
34 posts
140 reviews
Save Topic
Murano/Burano

We will be taking a 14 day cruise, stopping in Venice for a Saturday (9am-4pm). I would like to take a trip to Murano and Burano but I am finding the main Venetian websites to be very confusing because I still can not figure out if it is best to take the vap or alilaguna.

Can anyone tell me EXACTLY how to get from the cruise pier to Murano then Burano and will I have enough time to do a tour on each (are these free or is there a charge for glass factory and lace factory tour?) Then I need to know exactly how to get back to return to the ship. Sorry for needing details - I am very geographically challenged. Thanks so much

Venice Urban Adventures
Boat Tours, Walking Tours, Food Tours, Sightseeing Tours
JM Walkingtour
City Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours
Free Venice City Tour
Cultural Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours
City Wonders
Sightseeing Tours, Gondola Cruises, City Tours, Cultural Tours
UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
47,540 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Murano/Burano

From the Ship you need to go to Piazzale Roma there is a people mover (€1) from there line 3 Vaporetto to Murano, from Murano to Burano line 12, do not know about tours but something easy to do on your own, there is no charge to go to a glass factory there are a lot, but it is hard sell be warned,

I would return the way you came

york pa
Level Contributor
34 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Murano/Burano

Perfect, thanks so much

Los Angeles, CA
Level Contributor
937 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Murano/Burano

@Hi, Sophie8...I'm piggybacking on this post. We are also on the cruise and will stay at Casa Sant'Andrea, Santa Croce 495, Santa Croce, Venice, 30135 near Piazzale Roma. We also would like to go to Murano, then Burano. Can I get the Vaporetto Line 3 from here (P.R.)?

Also, would you happen to know how to get to Casa Sant'Andrea by foot? We will take the bus from the airport to Piazzale Roma. There's a map on Casa's website but it's not very clear. It mentions that a 2 minutes walk. I appreciate if you could give me some kind of walking direction to this hotel.

Thank you so much.

Venice
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
9,415 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Murano/Burano

You walk to the fondamenta where the vaporetti go from turn left and keep following the fondamenta past the vaporettio stops and the Coo Op supermarket. it then bears to the left and Casa St Andrea is there.

Venice, Italy
Destination Expert
for Venice, City of Venice
Level Contributor
7,810 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Murano/Burano

The People Mover now costs €1.30 one way.

Los Angeles, CA
Level Contributor
937 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Murano/Burano

Thank you for this info!

Edited: 20 March 2014, 03:56
Peachtree City...
Level Contributor
5 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Murano/Burano

Thank you so much for the detailed information! We arrive early on May 29 for Celebrity Silhouette cruise. Just in case our flight is delayed, I didn't want to prepay for a tour that we might not make. Glad to know you can tour factories on your own. Any idea of where I can get a map? I am a real visual person.

cheshire, england
Level Contributor
6,034 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Murano/Burano

Hi Carol, I particularly like the Insight Flexi Map of Venice. We got our copy from Amazon but I'm pretty sure I've seen them in book stores also..

Edited: 29 April 2014, 08:42
UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
47,540 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Murano/Burano

The insight map is good, I also like Streetwise Venice,

UK
Level Contributor
1,605 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Murano/Burano

Be aware that you need to spend quite a while to see the artisans make something in Murano. It is a very slow process from the little I've seen – I could not bear to stay any longer as it was more fun watching paint dry. The trip from Murano to Burano is quite long – about half an hour or slightly longer (take ear-plugs). Burano is quite different and worth seeing, but only after you've seen a lot of Venice. If this is your first trip and you don't have much time, you would do much better to spend the time in Venice itself.