We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Problems using Trenitalia website

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
323 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Problems using Trenitalia website

Hello all,

I am trying to book the overnight train from Venice (Venezia S. Lucia) to Paris. I get as far as the credit card section but can't get any further. It also has registered user or non-registered user, and 'Warning: for purchases without registration is not provided an invoice'.

So, I tried registering but it doesn't work. I fill out my name, underneath is Country of birth, province of birth and place of birth. I put 'Australia', the other two boxes are then greyed out.

When I click 'submit' it tells me 'All the compulsory fields must be filled in before comfirming the registration process. Please scroll the form and complete it.'

The only section I haven't filled out is the your home section which asks to 'Provide your address, only in Italy, in which we will ship your new card.' There is of course the hotel address in Venice where I'm staying but I don't know if that's acceptable or not.

Has anyone else had trouble like this? I don't what to do. It seems strange that you have to have an address in Italy. Any suggestions? If I book with Thello, you can't choose your berth level i.e. a lower bunk but you can with Trenitilia.

CA
Level Contributor
7,118 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Problems using Trenitalia website

You need to hit "non registered user."

If forced to register, just use a address in Italy.

Also be aware these trains get very poor reviews.

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
32,425 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Problems using Trenitalia website

You don't have to register, just continue to the payment section as a non-registered user!

See e.g. tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187768-i20-k54273… and http://www.seat61.com/Italy-trains.htm (scroll down to "How to Use Trenitalia.com").

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
323 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Problems using Trenitalia website

Thank you for the advice. I am aware of the reviews but it's cheaper than flying. I managed to make a booking but for some reason the transaction wasn't successful, it said something like the credit provider refused. This happened three times, When I tried again, the "smart" fare of 55 euro is now not showing. Perhaps I should wait a bit. Don't know why it wasn't accepted. Not having much luck am I?

Edited: 15 March 2014, 16:08
CA
Level Contributor
7,118 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Problems using Trenitalia website

Paypal works every time.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
323 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Problems using Trenitalia website

I don't have paypal and don't want to set one up. Is there a reason that credit cards don't work or is this just a hitch?

Louisiana
Level Contributor
1 post
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Problems using Trenitalia website

I was able to purchase tickets on trenitalia using a credit card w/out registering about a month ago. It may be a glitch; I've been having troubles with the site since yesterday . . .

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
9,200 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Problems using Trenitalia website

@Night_Raiders

As far as Australian credit cards are concerned, it should work. Firstly, check if your cards are registered with

- SecureCode (Mastercard)

- Verified by Visa (Visa)

Then try again with no registration ("Non Sono Registrato")

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
323 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Problems using Trenitalia website

Just to update you all, the CC company had been vigilant and thought the website looked dodgy so put a stop on my card. A phone call sorted it out, I have booked my tickets and all's well (that ends well.)

Thank you everyone for your advice and helpful tips.

Venice, Italy
Destination Expert
for Venice, City of Venice
Level Contributor
7,661 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Problems using Trenitalia website

The way Trenitalia acts sometimes, your bank was perhaps actually pretty accurate in thinking them "dodgy".

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
86,130 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Problems using Trenitalia website

I wonder what the bank would make of ACTV?