We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gondola with serenade, and a little help with a short stay

Which Venice hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Reading...
Level Contributor
3 posts
123 reviews
Save Topic
Gondola with serenade, and a little help with a short stay

This is our first time in Venice

We will be arriving by train at 2:30 in the afternoon on a Wednesday. We will probably walk to Santa Croce area (staying at Hotel Al Duca) and leave on Friday morning. This is a second honeymoon and we want it to be special. I am not sure what time the churches and museums close, so I do not know what to plan for the first day. Any suggestions?

Our only plan for this day is to find a gondola ride with serenade, I have no idea how to plan this, the one I found with dinner was too expensive.

I was not sure if the Basilica Dei Frari might fit in this day from where we are?

We will really only have a day and a half, and I am not sure if the city pass with vaporetto 36 hour, is our best option. At some point, we will ride the #1 Tra. to just get an overview of everything.

Early on second day we will start with going to Rialto Bridge area, then the San Marco area with the Basilica of San Marco, Doge's Palace, and other things suggested in this forum for Venice in one day.

Thanks in advance for any help.

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
45,842 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gondola with serenade, and a little help with a short stay

Most Gondola rides with Music are packages with with dinner included, and as you say expensive, most

people seem to just hire a Gondola, without the trimmings,

You could easily walk to the Friari on the way to Rialto, do get a map and you can plan the route,

I do think a Venice Travel card pass is a good idea, as any one off ride is €7.

Venice, Italy
Destination Expert
for Venice, City of Venice
Level Contributor
7,413 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gondola with serenade, and a little help with a short stay

Music and dinner are not tied together in any way with the gondola ride. If you stop at any of the major Stazi (I know Bacino Orseolo and Bauer/Trinità for sure) and ask for music, they can get them for you (usually a singer and either a guitarist or accordion player). It may take a while (there are a limited number of musicians "on call" compared to the number of gondoliers) so maybe stop and arrange it ahead of time (make an "appointment" a couple hours ahead). I son't know the cost, as the last time I arranged music+gondola for friends of my parents I think it may still have been in Lira.

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
45,842 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gondola with serenade, and a little help with a short stay

On the whole people enjoy a Gondola ride down back Canals where all you can hear iare ripples of the water,, for the most part the Music seranades comprise of Neapolitan Music which not really fitting in Venice,

Venice
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
8,963 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gondola with serenade, and a little help with a short stay

There is a shared gondola serenade organised by the Santa Maria del giglio stazio . Often sold in a few of the agencies and hotels . However it is not guaranteed that you will get the love seat at the back and you have to share it with 4 other strangers so not exactly romantic.

Reading...
Level Contributor
3 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Gondola with serenade, and a little help with a short stay

Thanks for your answers. They are very helpful. I am sure I want a private gondola ride. I may reconsider

the serenade after reading your answers. The only package I have found with music and dinner is 450 Euro. Are there any that are less than this?

Also, because we are staying in Santa Croce, and will have a short day that day, can anyone recommend what we should see before the Gondola ride? Sophie, did you mean that we can see the Frari and Rialto bridge this day?

Where can I get a good map?

Thanks again for your help

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
45,842 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Gondola with serenade, and a little help with a short stay

You would not be far out of the way to go to Rialto via the Friari

You can get Venice maps on Amazon or big bookshops like WH Smith,plenty in Reading,

Venice
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
8,963 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Gondola with serenade, and a little help with a short stay

Contact Gondolieri travel - They are the main handlers of the gondola companies and maybe they can do something tailored to your needs.http://www.gondolieritravel.com/it

Venice, Italy
Destination Expert
for Venice, City of Venice
Level Contributor
7,413 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Gondola with serenade, and a little help with a short stay

Some of the musicians also sing songs in Venetian dialect, not necessarily Neapolitan ones. And just because one person seems to find the serenade superfluous, doesn't mean that others cannot enjoy it just fine.

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
45,842 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Gondola with serenade, and a little help with a short stay

Maybe be but it has been mostly " O sole Mio " to me, when I have heard them

10. Re: Gondola with serenade, and a little help with a short stay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 March 2015, 04:20