We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

venice to sorento to rome

Which Venice hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Newtown Square...
Level Contributor
4 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
venice to sorento to rome

I am arriving at venice airport - traveling south - back up to rome. leaving from rome airport. should I rent a car at venice airport and take some kind of public transportation ? can I rent a car after I check out of hotel - somewhere close by?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
83,866 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: venice to sorento to rome

It will be faster and much less stressful to travel by train. A train will take you from Venice to Naples in just over 5 hours, with the suburban train onwards to Sorrento taking about another hour. If you book well in advance, tickets can cost as little as €29. Walk-up price is €101. See www.trenitalia.com and www.italotreno.it

To get from Venice to Sorrento by road would take over 9 hours of driving (plus stops) almost all on very busy and boring motorway, at a cost of €52 in tolls and about €90 in fuel. See www.viamichelin.com

If you are going to stay in Venice and decide to pick up a rental car as you leave, pick up from Piazzale Roma.

Venice
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
9,048 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: venice to sorento to rome

If you have a fair bit of luggage consider a private car transfer from Naples to Sorrento. That stretch of railway is well known for theft. ( ap tours are recommended)

Newtown Square...
Level Contributor
4 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: venice to sorento to rome

thank you for your info. I thought about train but we also want to stop in Florence and then in my hometown of Boca di Valled in Abruzzi for 3 nites. then on to sorrento for 2 nites before we head home. I much rather go by train as the driving in Italy is scary to me! I welcome any other thoguhts.

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
28,472 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: venice to sorento to rome

Get the train from Venice to Florence (Venezia S. Lucia to Firenze S. M. Novalla), in two hours, departures hourly.

You could drive from Florence to Bocca di Valle, but picking up a rental car in central Florence is not too easy because of the Limited Traffic Zone, and the drive could take nearly six hours plus stops. Maybe better to get the train to Pescara (Pescara Centrale) in from four hours (with one easy change in Bologna) and rent your car in Pescara about one hour's drive from Bocca di Valle..

Driving to Sorrento is going to be the easiest way, though it's something of a cross-country drive - see www.viamichelin.com for routes in Italy. Either drop your car off in Sorrento, or drive to your departure airport according to taste. If staying the night in Rome before your flight, better to drop in Sorrento.

Newtown Square...
Level Contributor
4 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: venice to sorento to rome

Thank you all for the helpful info. I got amazingly discounted rate upon your suggestion to book early!! One more question.... Do I need to give myself a particular amount of time prior to my train departure or will I be ok to arrive at train station just before departure time ? My husband worries about everything and will probably have me head out the door 2 hours before the train time!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
83,866 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: venice to sorento to rome

There is no real point in getting to the station more than about 20 minutes before departure, as that is when the departure screens will show the platform (binario) that will be used.

Unlike airports, there are no delays to check in or for security. You just walk onto the train with your luggage.

Newtown Square...
Level Contributor
4 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: venice to sorento to rome

wonderful news! now lets hope hubby will be calmer about this - so worried about missing the train. thank you for your reply!

Houston,Texas
Level Contributor
12 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: venice to sorento to rome

I am doing the same route I booked a train rental cars are expensive and very small would not recommend driving you can stop in Florence for a day then hop on train to naples

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
5,865 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: venice to sorento to rome

If you want to get from point A to point B expediently and see nothing, take the train. Otherwise if you have time and want to enjoy the sites rent a car. You must decide

10. Re: venice to sorento to rome

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 July 2015, 07:15