We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How far is this apartment to anywhere? With a baby...

Which Venice hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Haarlem, The...
Level Contributor
14 posts
59 reviews
Save Topic
How far is this apartment to anywhere? With a baby...

Hi! I hope somebody can help me.

I am looking at renting this apartment but it seems to locate further from the tourist spots...

tripadvisor.com/VacationRentalReview-g187870…

If I google walk, it says 23 minutes to Rialto Bridge for example. Is there no water bus or other form of transportation to make it nearer? We are traveling with a 8 month old baby on stroller. We been many places in Italy but not Venice, have zero idea how moving about with the baby will be.

All advices are welcome! We are mainly looking at eating and drinking, have a feel of the place, relaxing... and few tourist stuffs just to tick the boxes.

Cheers,

Aiwee

north carolina
Level Contributor
6,501 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How far is this apartment to anywhere? With a baby...

wow, the place looks wonderful. It will be a bit of a hike to the better known sights, but the neighborhood should be fairly pleasant. However, Venice is not a big town, if you are walkers, then you can do everything you want. It will occasionally require taking the stroller up and down steps to bridges, say usually 3 - 8 steps, and they are usually broad enough to make it easy to manage. I have trucked some pretty large suitcases up and down those bridge steps and it is not much of a challenge.

Moving about with the baby will be easy except when you get into the heavy crowds around St. Mark's, and then it's just a question of going slow for a while.

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,387 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How far is this apartment to anywhere? With a baby...

The baby stroller will have to be hauled up the steps on each bridge and down on the other side. I think that Venice is the least stroller-freindly of any Italian city

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,387 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How far is this apartment to anywhere? With a baby...

This URL shows where the vaporetto stops are

livingveniceblog.com/venice-instructions/…

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,269 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How far is this apartment to anywhere? With a baby...

Of course there are water buses, and generally the entry is via a pontoon right onto the boat, with a friendly deckhand there to help if necessary.

Get yourselves Travel Passes (see Travel and other passes top right) then you can get close to where you want to be via water bus (vaporetto) and stroll around there. Venice is completely flat apart from the bridges over the side canals.

Looking at the apartment it is obviously several floors up with stairs, not a lift. This may be a chore with a baby. There is a broad walkway right along the basin of the lagoon there so it will be a fairly gently walk to San Marco.

Edited: 22 March 2014, 23:33
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
39,551 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: How far is this apartment to anywhere? With a baby...

Looks really nice - I didn't see where it said what floor it is on?

The terrace looks lovely.

Venice
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
9,072 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How far is this apartment to anywhere? With a baby...

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187866-i56-k56308…

You might want to read this thread first...... I saw the name on the link and remembered a past post.

Haarlem, The...
Level Contributor
14 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How far is this apartment to anywhere? With a baby...

Hi everybody, thank you for your contribution.

Note on the vaporetto and bridges.

Thanks Rosa503 for the warning! Looks like i have to start all over again on my apartment search, probably will not go with company who does not respond quickly after they have got the deposit! There is this other company RedAwning who is charging USD276 extra fee at arrival, claiming it's the law... which i have never come across in Italy. The dishonest behaviors kind of put us off and we are thinking maybe we should just go to Lake Garda or some small villages instead of spending 4 days in Venice with the 8 month old.

Venice, Italy
Destination Expert
for Venice, City of Venice
Level Contributor
7,589 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How far is this apartment to anywhere? With a baby...

There is a City Tax which varies according to the category of accommodation, but is only for the first five days in case of longer stays, and can't imagine it reaching $US 276, since the maximum would be €25 per person in the case of a 5 star hotel...

Many apartments have a security deposit, but as far as I know that is not regulated by any law...

Edited: 23 March 2014, 09:34
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,059 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How far is this apartment to anywhere? With a baby...

I have sent you a private message with the link to the apartment where I have stayed several times that is very close to a vaporetto stop and although tucked away in a quiet Castello neighborhood easy to get around.

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,387 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How far is this apartment to anywhere? With a baby...

I rented from this agency when I spent 10 days in Venice in 2012

http://www.veniceapartments.org/

They have good online reviews. When our key got stuck in the apt door on a Sat (it was slightly bent), they responded quickly and resolved the problem with a couple of hours.