We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Italy for non-Art lovers??

Which Venice hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Bengaluru, India
Level Contributor
42 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Italy for non-Art lovers??

So i am planning my honeymoon in Italy covering Venice Florence and Rome. I have been reading and discussing alot about whether Italy, who is filled with culturally significant stuff, is for non-Art lovers like us. Anywhere i read about this the more i am convinced that the place is not suited for us who just want to have some lovely time in an ancient surrounding(okay may be that's too much!)

So i ask everyone who reads this whether there is something for people like us that these cities have to offer and if not(sadly) then i would also welcome some suggestions about the alternative destinations. My itinerary is of 6nights

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Venice, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
7,742 posts
445 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Italy for non-Art lovers??

First, congratulations on your upcoming marriage!!

Six nights for Venice, Florence, and Rome?? Honestly, you do not have enough time to enjoy the great art in that little time, even if you wanted to. :)

So, is it that you do not like painted art, sculpture, architecture in general, churches, etc., nothing, nada?? Or is it that you do not care for painted art, but enjoy beautiful architecture? Would you enjoy a gondolla ride along the small canals of Venice at dusk? Do you like good food and wine? Well than, sounds as if you will be happy in Italy.

If none of the above, then how about the South of France? Less art - better food :)

Bengaluru, India
Level Contributor
42 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Italy for non-Art lovers??

Hey thanks for replying. You put right set of questions in your post! :-)

Yes i enjoy lovely architecture and yes i would die for a lovely gondola ride. My interest in museum and painting is very limited but i am a bug fan of architecture like the Colosseum and leaning tower of pisa. So by answering your questions in my head i think i'd bot regret the decision to go there on Honeymoon! :-)

Oh and btw yes i would love a quite dinner with some wine and local delicious food!

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Venice, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
7,742 posts
445 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Italy for non-Art lovers??

Well, here then - buon viaggio!

Museums are voluntary :)

Venice
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
9,019 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Italy for non-Art lovers??

There is so much to see without having to see art galleries or museums . However 6 nights I would stick to 2 cities . venice is unique you can wander and enjoy. and from Florence you could see Pisa in about 3/4 day.

Milan, Italy
Level Contributor
189 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Italy for non-Art lovers??

Subeh, first of all congrats!

Even though 6 days are not that much to enjoy Italy, I'm sure you may find highlights such as:

- spending a night in a real medieval castle in Tuscany (there are plenty, and not that expensive) - for instance Monteriggioni near Siena

- Loose yourself in Venice off the beaten path neighborhoods, such as Cannaregio or Campo San Polo, and treat yourself with Cicchetti (amazing seafood apetizers that you eat at the counter of ocal wine shops, while sipping a glass of wine)

- Participate to a wine tasting tour in the Chianti area, and discover local cuisine (forget Spaghetti and Pizza, it's a total different story)

- Enjoy Rome night life in lively neighborhoods such as Trastevere or Testaccio (if you plan your visit between June and August, you will find the "estate Romana", a bonanza of night concerts, food stalls, events...

- Discover original roman houses, buried under medieval churchs (that's really amazing...)

- Climb on top of St Peters' dome, to admire Rome from its highest point

Was I able to give you some hints? :-)

Wherever you decide to go, I wish you to enjoy this marvelous moment with your beloved one.

JP

www.delightfullyitaly.com

Bengaluru, India
Level Contributor
42 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Italy for non-Art lovers??

Thanks everyone for your wishes and suggestion. It surely is going to help me alot. I, however, have one more thing that i'd like your suggestion on. I have booked a hotel in Lido as it was coming quite cheap for the quality offered but now i'm starting to wonder whether the cost of ferrying from hotel to venice island itself to-and-fro is going to make up for the cost saved in taking a hotel in Lido. Any comments on that?

Venice, Italy
Destination Expert
for Venice, City of Venice
Level Contributor
7,494 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Italy for non-Art lovers??

Even if you were staying in Venice itself, I would usually suggest a vaporetto pass (Tourist Travel Card),for the length of your stay, which includes the boats back and forth to Lido in your case. To Lido it is also probably easier, though slightly more expensive than if you get the bus with the travel card, to take Alilaguna straight from the airport to Lido, without having to change anywhere. Plus, most of Lido is much more recent than the Venice historical center (not as modern as Mestre, though).

With only 6 days, I agree with the others that you will have very little time for any of them, much less a day trip to Pisa.

Alexandria, VA
Level Contributor
596 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Italy for non-Art lovers??

INorthern taly is a wonderful destination for any traveler, art-lover or not. Do it! There is plenty to see and enjoy. But let me endorse the comment of another poster that even without museums, seeing anything but a blur of the 3 cities you mention in a 6-night stay is impossible (much less a day trip to Pisa as well).

First of all, 6 nights means only 5 full days. Even if you arrive in the first city early in the morning (presumably all the way from India), get through immigration and customs, then get to your hotel, do you really think you'll be ready to do anything except crash? And if you arrive late in the day, there'd be no time to do anything even if you were up to it.

For another thing, the 3 cities aren't that close together -- don't be deceived by how small Northern Italy looks on a map. You will spend at least a half-day getting from any of the 3 to either of the others.

Personally, I would choose Florence and Venice, saving Rome for another trip. (But then, we're not fond of Rome.) But whichever two you pick, please keep it to two.

If you pick Venice, which is truly unique in the world (or at least in Europe), you should reconsider whether staying at the Lido is is a good idea. It's not the cost of the local transportation, but the time involved, and the inconvenience. Much better to stay somewhere in Venice proper, so you can pop in and out of your hotel between bouts of sightseeing. Otherwise you'll be on the go, non-stop, from breakfast (or earlier) until bedtime.

And don't be misled by hotels in Mestre or Marghera claiming to be just minutes from Venice proper. These are heavy-industry areas, dirty and polluted, offering nothing for tourists. There are innumerable hotels and B&B's in Venice proper, in all price ranges (relatively speaking).

Have a wonderful honeymoon wherever you go, but you'll have specially wonderful one in Italy.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
38,763 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Italy for non-Art lovers??

Agree with others - 2 places would be better plan so you don't waste your precious few days checking in and out of hotels, getting to and from train stations - these cities are not close to one another and you will lose about 1/2 of day getting to each place and you really can't afford to lose 1.5 days out of so few to being with -

I too would stick to two cities closer to each other - i.e., Venice and Florence or wherever else you might choose.

Lots of people on a first trip severely underestimate distances and travel time in Italy - you want more time being that traveling. I would think anyway.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Macau, Holiday Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
27,177 posts
5,424 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Italy for non-Art lovers??

+1 for the suggestion for 2 cities over this period. In fact, If you were leaning towards Rome, I might suggest just staying in Rome and making a day trip to Florence as another option to staying in both cities over a six day period.