We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Venice to Rome Help

Which Venice hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Topic
Venice to Rome Help

Hello,

I was wondering my family and I finish off with a cruise in June and we are then making our way to Rome.

What is the best way to get there?

There will be two adults and two kids (10 and 8 years old)

Any help would be great :)

Thanks

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
83,821 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Venice to Rome Help

Take a land taxi from the ship to Mestre station on the mainland, then a train to Rome.

You will get the best prices if you buy your tickets now, but discounted tickets are worthless if you miss the train. You may prefer to buy when you get to Mestre station.

See www.trenitalia.com and www.italotreno.it

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Venice to Rome Help

Hello,

Thanks for your feed back.... Would I not catch the train from Santa Lucia Train station?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
83,821 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Venice to Rome Help

No. A taxi can take you right to Mestre station. The closest you can get to Santa Lucia station by road is Piazzale Roma, from where you have to go over a large and awkward bridge to get to Santa Lucia station.

All trains leaving from Santa Lucia also stop at Mestre.

Venice, Italy
Destination Expert
for Venice, City of Venice
Level Contributor
7,548 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Venice to Rome Help

Going to Santa Lucia train station with luggage from the cruise port is more complicated, as it requires either a change of travel methods (taxi or monorail tram + vaporetto) or one method plus a 10-15 minute walk including crossing of a very ill-designed bridge. Unless you are planning to store your luggage at the station and sight see for a few hours, the simplest and most convenient solution is the land taxi straight to the Mestre train station.

Edited: 29 March 2014, 09:59
5. Re: Venice to Rome Help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 March 2015, 06:16