We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rental Car Drop Off Piazza Romale (Venice)

Dayton, Ohio
Level Contributor
95 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
Rental Car Drop Off Piazza Romale (Venice)

In researching rental cars, I notice that Hertz has a warning about an additional 43 euro fee (they say to pay on site) for dropping at Piazza Romale instead of San Marco Airport. We are already charged a separate fee for picking up in Rome and dropping in Venice. Anyone know if this Is an additional fee charged to all rental car drop offs regardless of company ... or a parking fee that's unavoidable ... or just another add-on fee from Hertz?

Thanks!

London, Canada
Level Contributor
2,363 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rental Car Drop Off Piazza Romale (Venice)

In general (supposedly) a drop off/pick up fee is charged when the place does not keep its cars in storage. This fee is charged so that the car can be brought to (or taken from) that location. However, with Hertz, all locations are not equal..that is some are dealer run and others are company run locations. Either of these may be the reason for this charge.

Venice, Italy
Level Contributor
1,600 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Rental Car Drop Off Piazza Romale (Venice)

FYI: Piazzale Roma, not Piazza Romale.

Mentioned in this post
Piazzale Roma
Piazzale Roma
26 Reviews
Venice, Italy
Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
710 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rental Car Drop Off Piazza Romale (Venice)

I am picking up a rental car at the airport in Venice and returning it to Piazzale Roma....using Europe Car. They also charge a drop off fee of 43E. I had also considered Hertz and Avis and both quotes included the drop off fee. So all the rentals car comapnies located in Piazzale charge the drop. I would guess that it is separate from the one-way fee you are paying for picking up in Rome and dropping in Venice.

Mentioned in this post
Piazzale Roma
Piazzale Roma
26 Reviews
Venice, Italy
Dayton, Ohio
Level Contributor
95 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rental Car Drop Off Piazza Romale (Venice)

Thanks for the correction to my severely misspelled location! I appreciate the information but suppose the extra fee is worth the hassle and expense of getting into Venice from the airport.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
92,884 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rental Car Drop Off Piazza Romale (Venice)

You might do well to look at other companies anyway, as I think that Hertz is the only one that charges one-way fees for rentals within Italy. Try www.autoeurope.com

Venice
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
9,520 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rental Car Drop Off Piazza Romale (Venice)

Its probably to cover the parking at Venice as all have to use the public garage ( unless they take the cars off site). Another option but more hassle is to drop off at mestre station and take the train 1 stop in. Or look at dropping at the airport and taking public transport ( again it could be easier but it could be more hassle!!,)

Venice, Italy
Destination Expert
for Venice, City of Venice
Level Contributor
7,953 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rental Car Drop Off Piazza Romale (Venice)

Also FYI to avoid problems and confusion, it is Marco Polo airport, sometimes also (though ever more rarely) Tessera airport. San Marco refers either to the most central of the 6 sestieri (neighborhoods) of Venice, or to the only actual Piazza in Venice (all the other open areas are either "piazzali" or more usually "campi" or "campielli").

Mentioned in this post
Marco Polo
Marco Polo
152 Reviews
Venice, Italy
Tessera
Tessera
City of Venice, Italy
Dayton, Ohio
Level Contributor
95 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rental Car Drop Off Piazza Romale (Venice)

Thanks I_heart_Venice ... I know better than to send out a request on the fly. I was referring to Marco Polo Airport AND Piazzale Roma. And thanks to the rest of you for helping!

What I find interesting is that even with the fee, Hertz appears far cheaper than Avis (by almost 25%), and Hertz is the one that autoeurope also quotes at a much reduced cost. As far as I can decipher, the insurance coverage is the same on both contracts and both are unlimited miles. Is there something else I might be missing?

London, Canada
Level Contributor
2,363 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rental Car Drop Off Piazza Romale (Venice)

My experience over the years is that Hertz (in Italy) is usually a lot cheaper than the others. Has been as much as half price. For those to whom TransatHolidays (Marlin Travel) means anything, they always recommend Hertz in Italy. I have never paid a oneway fee, but as I pointed out above, there are two types of dealers in the Hertz family in Italy. I just make sure I go Company to Company outlets and not to a dealer outlet.

Dayton, Ohio
Level Contributor
95 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Rental Car Drop Off Piazza Romale (Venice)

Thought I'd follow up our experience in case someone finds this thread and wonders what happened. We rented directly from Hertz (at a large discount) from the Rome airport with only a short wait. While they did not have the exact class of car we reserved online, we were upgraded at no charge to just a slightly larger car.

We had no trouble navigating the highway out of Rome (about 11 am on a Wednesday) and drove through Tuscany without incident for a week before dropping in Piazalle Roma. The parking garage was full when we arrived, but we 'created' a space on the top, took photos of the car all around in case of dispute, and walked down to the a Hertz office to hand in our keys to the attendant behind the desk. No one looked at the car. They mailed a receipt to our home, which arrived about 3 weeks later. All charges were as anticipated.

A couple of suggestions if you'll be navigating through Italy ... It can be quite difficult to understand the street names out of the GPS. Use GPS coordinates whenever possible to find things and back up your GPS with paper route maps and directions (even know the GPS locations for public parking lots to help you stay out of ZTL). Leave plenty of time to arrive somewhere if you have a set time schedule. 'Aperto' means open ... If the dashboard is flashing that occasionally, you have a door open somewhere ... Stop and check. When our hatch flew open, all the cars around us stopped and a young man popped out of his car and came running toward us with our luggage almost before we even figured out what happened!

Would we rent a car in Italy again? Absolutely! But only if needed for wandering outside the big cities. The fields of poppies along the roads in Tuscany made our trip!!

Mentioned in this post