We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5 Nights in Venice (Itinerary)

New Orleans
Level Contributor
697 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
5 Nights in Venice (Itinerary)

So excited to be returning to Venice after a 14 year absence! We'll be there for 5 nights, 23 to 28 May, staying in an apartment in Dorsoduro (San Toma is nearest vaporetto stop). This itinerary is my attempt to just group things we could do each day we're there. I like to have lists of things we can do--even if we don't end up doing any or all of the things on a given day (we may get distracted by the cool cats and just lounge in the sun with them!). We love to wander and soak in the city but we also enjoy visiting churches, galleries, mansions filled with art, etc.

Friday--arrive from Tuscany, settle in, walk around, dinner

Saturday--Accademia, Ca'Razzonico, Santa Maria della Salute. Row Venice 2:30 or 4; cichetti tour 6pm.

Sunday--Lagoon Day: St. Michelle, Murano, Burano, Torcello

Monday--Doge's Palace Secret Itineraries tour; Correr Museum; Clock Tower; St. Mark's Basilica

Tuesday--Scuola San Rocco; Frari Church; Ca'Pesaro; Ca'D'Oro. Evening--Opera at La Fenice

Wednesday--depart at 1130am

Would like to fit San Giorgio Maggiore in too.

Thoughts? Suggestions, including places to dine out? We are celebrating a birthday while we're there so I was thinking of Antiche Carampe or Osteria Alle Testiere or Il Nuovo Galleon or ???

Thanks!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,404 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 5 Nights in Venice (Itinerary)

San Giorgio is just one vaporetto stop across from San Marco so easily visited when you are in that area.

Tuesday morning you might like to begin with a visit to the Rialto markets. The fish market is gorgeous and the vegetables just stunning.

New Orleans
Level Contributor
697 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 5 Nights in Venice (Itinerary)

Thank you, Lynn B. I'll add San Giorgio Maggiore to Monday. Thanks for the reminder about the Rialto markets--my husband really wants to see them!

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Venice, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
9,373 posts
482 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 5 Nights in Venice (Itinerary)

Hi Nola, here is what I think:

Friday is fine as is.

Saturday - how about either Accademia or Ca'Razzonico. I am leaning toward Accademia. It is too art heavy and you still have plans for the remains of the day.

Sunday- personally, I would enjoy Burano and Torcello. Murano is unremarkable and will just eat away at your time.

Monday- again, either Doge's and Secret Itineraries or the Correr Museum, leaning toward the former. Correr Museum houses lots and lots of art and deserves more attention than just being squeeshed in between others. You can leave it for your return trip, as long as it is in less than 14 years :)

Tuesday- yes as to Scuola San Rocco and Frari, and La Fenice in the evening.

You will be busy as is and you must, absolutely must, leave time to just hang out and enjoy Venice. Sometimes, less is way more.

Venice, Italy
Level Contributor
1,600 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 5 Nights in Venice (Itinerary)

Once you get to San Giorgio, you can go up the clock tower there; it is cheaper and has a better view than St.Mark's.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
67 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 5 Nights in Venice (Itinerary)

Totally agree with Anna-Roz about the islands. To me, Murano similar to but less attractive than Venice, whereas Torcello and Burano offer something unique. Torcello feels rural and has two beautiful old churches. Burano is alive with colour, and the lace museum is interesting if it's open. I think to do 4 islands in a day would be too much.

New Orleans
Level Contributor
697 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 5 Nights in Venice (Itinerary)

Thank y'all for the replies; it's all very helpful! I really hope it'll be less than 14 years between visits in the future!

I'm glad to take Murano off the list. Burano and Torcello are the ones that call me anyway. We definitely will leave off the clock tower and just enjoy San Giorgio instead.

Will have to do a hard think about the museums and balancing hanging out time. But we will relax and absorb Venice. It's too special not to!

7. Re: 5 Nights in Venice (Itinerary)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 April 2015, 06:16