We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Using the Vaporetto

Klerksdorp North...
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Using the Vaporetto

Hi. We are travelling to Venice and will be landing at the Marco Polo Airport at 9am on the 6th of May 2014. We stay at the Palazzo Giovanelli Gran Canal and will be boarding a cruise ship the next day. I've read about the different means of transportation and want to know what the best option is:

Can we use a vaporetto from the airport (seems like line 1?) to San Stae directly? It appears from their website that the hotel is adjacent to the stop next to San Stae Church.

Because we have the whole day to spend in Venice, we want to make the best of the time that we are there. Would it be better to purchase a Travel Card to use during the day (and next day).

I've read about a Peoplemover that takes you to the pier. Where would this be in relation to our hotel?

It seems that the busiest time to use the vaporetto is between 8 and 10am. Would it be better to first visit the mainland or Rome and only go to our hotel later (we can only book in @ 2pm).

Thank you in advance for any help!! :)

uk
Level Contributor
472 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Using the Vaporetto

i think you need to do some more reading: there is No vaporetto from the airport - just bus, taxi, water-taxi & alilaguna;

it would take you 6-10 hours to get to rome & back, from venice! so i wouldn't recommend That, particularly.

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
33,551 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Using the Vaporetto

Vaporetto no. 1 goes from Piazzale Roma to S. Stae (www.venice-rentals.com/info/route-01.php) and you can reach P. Roma from the airport, taking one of the airport buses (ACTV or ATVO). Arriving at the airport at 9 a.m., you aren't likely to be at P. Roma before 10 anyway, so you don't need to worry about commuters on the vaporetto (and attempt to go sightseeing "on the mainland"(?) or, I presume you meant, around Piazzale Roma: just go straight to your hotel.

But in any case, the suggestion on your hotel's website is to take the ALILAGUNA service straight from the airport to San Stae! See www.hotelpalazzogiovanelli.com/location.htm and map (orange line) on http://www.alilaguna.it/en/linea-arancio/map

IF you were to arrive at Piazzale Roma, you would see the people mover which will take you to the cruise terminal. So when you want to take it, you would reach it by vaporetto from S. Stae.

Venice, Italy
Level Contributor
1,600 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Using the Vaporetto

Arriving at 10 am, you don't need to worry about commuters... you have to worry about tourist crowds!

Klerksdorp North...
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Using the Vaporetto

Thank you for all the advice. I think we will use the bus. It seems one can walk from Piazzale Roma to the hotel. May I also ask... we extended our vacation after the cruise to go to Switzerland. Would it be better to take the train from Santa Lucia and book on line or rather hire a car? Thanks again.

Venice
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
9,363 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Using the Vaporetto

You can walk to Palazzo Giovenelli but its not easy so print of decent instructions and you will have bridges to cross with luggage if you have it .. I would consider taking the vaporetto to san stae

After a cruise i would taxi to mestre and then train simply as you will have to pay a 1 way surcharge if you are not bringing the car back into Italy.

Edited: 21 April 2014, 17:47
Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
7,298 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Using the Vaporetto

....and it would be a hefty surcharge, not just the normal one-way hire charge, because you would be dropping off in a different country. So train is indeed a much better idea.

Klerksdorp North...
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Using the Vaporetto

The idea was to hire a car for 5 days and return back to Marco Polo Airport. But there are several toll roads in Switzerland so I thought it would be easier (and cheaper I suppose considering one still has to fill up) to use the train. Do you think it would it be better to buy our tickets online?

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
7,298 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Using the Vaporetto

You may be able to get cheaper tickets by buying them online in advance.

Venice, Italy
Destination Expert
for Venice, City of Venice
Level Contributor
7,774 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Using the Vaporetto

@dhmellor, there are no longer any discounts for the ACTV passes on-line. Alilaguna has a minimal (€ 1 euro) discount.

For the trains, there are discounts for purchasing in advance, but they are limited quantity, and have restrictions that render them mostly useless or almost if you change your mind about the departure time.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
7,298 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Using the Vaporetto

Yes, I know vaporetto tickets are now the same price online. I was replying to OP's question about train tickets (in post no 7). It is possible to get those much cheaper online, if you book well in advance. But as I_Heart says, you have to know when you are going to travel and you can't change your mind!