We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shared Water Taxi from Marco Polo to San Marco

Arkansas
Level Contributor
26 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Shared Water Taxi from Marco Polo to San Marco

Has anyone used this service? The last time I went to Venice I used the water taxi , cheap , easy but took a while to get to San Marco . THe shared taxi says to meet at MEETING POINT:

- for arrivals at airport: box n°71, in the airport main hall.. What is box 71? Will be arriving 3pm via Air France so I dont want to waste any more time than necessary to arrive on the Island . Sorry if this has been addressed before in a topic . Just needing some clarification . Will not take a private taxi because of expense!

Mentioned in this post
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
France
France
Europe
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
10,913 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shared Water Taxi from Marco Polo to San Marco

Many people in this forum have used this service (including myself).

Box no.71 is just a counter at the arrivals hall at Marco Polo. Once you arrive, register yourself with the staff at the counter, and being a shared taxi, you may have to wait until they have the maximum number of people who have booked for a similar timeframe before they can depart.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,297 posts
303 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shared Water Taxi from Marco Polo to San Marco

We used this shared water taxi service too. When we got to the counter, there were already 4 people waiting and the company rep told our group to proceed towards the pier. 6 people in the taxi. It was a pleasant ride.

Venice
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
9,546 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shared Water Taxi from Marco Polo to San Marco

Last time it sounds as if you took Alilaguna - cheap but took a while... the consorzio motoscafi also doa. Shared water taxi as well as an agency alba travel in venice.

Carmarthen Wales
Destination Expert
for Carmarthenshire, Ceredigion, Pembrokeshire
Level Contributor
3,241 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shared Water Taxi from Marco Polo to San Marco

Merry, has used the shared service a number of times and am very happy with it,and of course it is half price the private water taxi, if you are lucky, you get a trip through the grand canal before you get to your hotel(if the hotel is on that route).

ps, dont forget,you must pre book the shared water taxi, so the company know who is arriving.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,396 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Shared Water Taxi from Marco Polo to San Marco

we have used the shared water taxi three times. First time, we had to wait about ten minutes for other passengers, the second and third time we did not wait at all

Once the group assembles at the arrival hall, one of the party gets a voucher, which has the taxi number and dock number on it. You walk as a group to the taxi dock, and it is really easy.

We use an airport baggage trolley to haul our bags, and you can leave it at the doc. You need a one euro coin to get a trolley.

London, Canada
Level Contributor
2,103 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Shared Water Taxi from Marco Polo to San Marco

Hi,

Just so as I understand this correctly......

After arrival, go to box # 71 and let them know which hotel you are going to and when they have 6 people, just board and be dropped off at your hotel? No booking in advance online or anything like that?

That's it??

Carmarthen Wales
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,241 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Shared Water Taxi from Marco Polo to San Marco

you book ahead, online,and then you take the print out to the booth(box 71), it is near the exit,the taxi takes anywhere between two and twelve persons, we have had, just the two of us,six persons and eight persons in our last three trips.If you check, they used to only take passengers that has booked ahead, that way they know how many they are taking.It is on their web site www.venicelink.com

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
10,913 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Shared Water Taxi from Marco Polo to San Marco

It may be possible for you to just turn up, I don't know, but I have always booked ahead. Also, there is a requirement for a minimum of 2 persons, so if you turn up at the counter, I don't know how much they will charge.

Booking link: www.venicelink.com/index.php…

You also need to understand that this is not a private water taxi, so you are not going to be dropped off at your hotel, but a fixed place location near to your hotel (see the site for possible locations). If in doubt, ask them via email what would be the nearest location to your hotel.

Even if you are using a private water taxi, not all hotels have a landing dock.

Carmarthen Wales
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,241 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Shared Water Taxi from Marco Polo to San Marco

As a ps, This is a review I did on the shared water taxi which may help

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUserReviews-g187870-d3…

London, Canada
Level Contributor
2,103 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Shared Water Taxi from Marco Polo to San Marco

Hi,

Thanks, everyone.

We will be staying at the Hotel Principe (stayed there last year), and they have a private landing dock.

They are quoting me 120EURO for a private pickup.

I will have to check the drop-off locations for the shared water taxi.

thanks

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Principe
Hotel Principe
2,291 Reviews
Venice, Italy