We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Venice to Rome by train

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
2,187 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
Venice to Rome by train

What is the best place/website to buy tickets? How much are they usually? How long is the train ride? Is it a straight shot meaning same train or are there connections? Thanks!

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
33,976 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Venice to Rome by train

Trenitalia or Italotreno are the carriers you want to use. How much depends on the train and the class of travel. The trip on the high speed train takes over 4 hours. Yes, it is a direct train with no changes.

www.trenitalia.com/cms/v/index.jsp…

Be sure to enter the Italian names of the cities you wish to visit and change the time and date.

Donna

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
87,621 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Venice to Rome by train

For the best prices, buy well in advance. Trenitalia tickets normally go on sale 4 months before travel, Italo rather earlier, and the cheapest tickets can sell out quickly. See www.trenitalia.com and www.italotreno.it

Level Contributor
183 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Venice to Rome by train

I paid 29 euros, about 40 dollars, for a train from Venice to Rome using Trenitalia. Since it is a foreign website, call your credit card company before you buy the ticket to notify them of the transaction. Many people have had trouble buying tickets because their credit card company refuses the charge. The 29 euros is the cheapest ticket on trenitalia for this route.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
2,187 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Venice to Rome by train

I've only taken the train from Rome to the port before. I looked at italiarail...what is the difference btw 1st and 2nd class? Also economy, super economy, and normal?

Edited: 02 May 2014, 15:40
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
9,451 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Venice to Rome by train

For a description of the difference between 1st and 2nd (actually, for some routes, they now have 4 classes, standard, premium, business and executive)

seat61.com/…20like

Super Economy and Economy and Base are just fare tiers, with different conditions on exchange and refund, there is no link to the carriage class

trenitalia.com/cms-file/…20ECONOMY

trenitalia.com/cms-file/…ECONOMY

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
5 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Venice to Rome by train

I always had difficulty booking trains in Italy. I used this blog as a resource to help me figure out what exactly I was booking! http://www.seat61.com/

7. Re: Venice to Rome by train

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 May 2015, 06:16