We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Between Hilton Molino Stucky or Boscolo Venezia Autograph?

Hillsboro, Oregon
Level Contributor
171 posts
58 reviews
Save Topic
Between Hilton Molino Stucky or Boscolo Venezia Autograph?

We will be staying for two nights in Venice in October, coming in by train (from south of Salzburg, St Johann im Pongau) and departing by plane (to Paris).

I have enough rewards points to stay at either of the following: Hilton Molino Stucky, or Boscolo Venezia Autograph (a Marriott property). It will be a standard room at either hotel, but cost is not a factor since I will use points to pay.

For location to enjoy Venice, and also factoring in ease and cost of getting to the hotel from the train station, and getting to the airport after our stay, which hotel would you recommend?

Mentioned in this post
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Salzburg
Salzburg
Salzburg Region, Austria
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Hilton Molino Stucky Venice Hotel
Hilton Molino Stucky...
7,449 Reviews
Venice, Italy
Grand Hotel Dei Dogi
Grand Hotel Dei Dogi
1,719 Reviews
Venice, Italy
Venice, Italy
Level Contributor
1,600 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Between Hilton Molino Stucky or Boscolo Venezia Autograph?

Boscolo is closer than Hilton to both railway station and airport.

Boscolo locates in Venice proper (Cannaregio district) while Hilton locates in Giudecca island (closest lagoon's island to Venice).

Mentioned in this post
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Cannaregio
Cannaregio
3,875 Reviews
Venice, Italy
UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
48,724 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Between Hilton Molino Stucky or Boscolo Venezia Autograph?

The Hilton Molino Stucky has better transport links,

Mentioned in this post
Hilton Molino Stucky Venice Hotel
Hilton Molino Stucky...
7,449 Reviews
Venice, Italy
Chorley, United...
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
18,983 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Between Hilton Molino Stucky or Boscolo Venezia Autograph?

The Boscolo is on the Fondamenta Madonna dell'Orto in Cannaregio whereas the Hilton Stucky is on the Giudecca Island so you have to take a boat from Giudecca every time you wish to be in Venice proper.

The Boscolo is within easy reach (about 200 meters) of the Madonna dell'Orto water bus landing stage. Both the 4.1/4.2 and 5.1/5.2 water bus lines call there and will take you speedily round to Piazzale Roma for the coach to Marco Polo airport (20 minute coach ride) and will take you just as easily from the Ferrovia water bus landing stage immediately in front of the Santa Lucia train station round to the Madonna dell'Orto.

landing stage.

Boscolo every time for convenience in my opinion

Mentioned in this post
Cannaregio
Cannaregio
3,875 Reviews
Venice, Italy
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Piazzale Roma
Piazzale Roma
27 Reviews
Venice, Italy
Marco Polo Airport
Marco Polo Airport
Venice, Italy
Hotel Santa Lucia
Hotel Santa Lucia
777 Reviews
Venice, Italy
Venice, Italy
Level Contributor
1,600 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Between Hilton Molino Stucky or Boscolo Venezia Autograph?

Alilaguna Orange line (ferry to and from the airport) also calls in Madonna dell'Orto.

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
48,724 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Between Hilton Molino Stucky or Boscolo Venezia Autograph?

The Hilton has a shuttle to San Marco a Vaporetto stop close by,

I know where I would rather be, we are all allowed our opinions,

Mentioned in this post
Vaporetto
Vaporetto
4,918 Reviews
Venice, Italy
Chorley, United...
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
18,983 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Between Hilton Molino Stucky or Boscolo Venezia Autograph?

The Boscolo you can walk anywhere you wish in Venice. As the Hilton is on an island to the south of Venice you have to take a boat any time you wish to reach Venice.

I make no judgement about either Hotel as a place to stay as I have never used either of them but for convenience I think the Boscolo has an advantage

Mentioned in this post
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
48,724 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Between Hilton Molino Stucky or Boscolo Venezia Autograph?

But from the Boscolo a long walk anywhere, being in the very North of the Island, but both have their pro's and con's and we all have our opinions,

Chorley, United...
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
18,983 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Between Hilton Molino Stucky or Boscolo Venezia Autograph?

"the Boscolo is a long walk anywhere". It is within spitting distance of the lovely churches of the Madonna dell'Orto (fine paintings by Tintoretto,Titian, Cima da Conegliano) and Sant'Alvise (14th century, lovely trompe l'oeil painted ceiling plus several paintings by Tiepolo). The Ghetto is only a short walk away as are several excellent places to eat.

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Tintoretto
Hotel Tintoretto
464 Reviews
Venice, Italy
Conegliano
Conegliano
Province of Treviso, Italy
London
Level Contributor
141 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Between Hilton Molino Stucky or Boscolo Venezia Autograph?

Hi meginoregon

My personal suggestion would be to take The Molino Stucky based on the short duration of your visit and the choice of the two hotels you gave.

The Molino Stucky operate a frequent shuttle boat to get across the canal onto Venice island at either Zattere or just past St Mark's Square, so you can be in the thick of the majority of the top 10 must see sights fairly quickly. Timetable and map: molinostuckyhilton.com/docs/Shuttle_Boat_Tim…

If you were staying for longer than 2 nights, I would have said go for the Boscolo Venezia. It is an atmospheric and beautiful walk to and from the hotel each morning / evening, and gives you options for excursions to Murano and Burano. Exploring the backstreets and strolling the Fondamenta in between the Boscolo and the Strada Nuova can be a contrast to the busier parts of the city.

Do note though that with my choice you can't get to the Stucky directly from Venice Santa Lucia train station. Solution : Take the vaporetto (line 5.1/5.2) from the Santa Lucia Station to the Zattere stop and then change piers and await the shuttle boat to the hotel as per the timetable.

When you depart for the airport simply backtrack your route (hotel shuttle to Zattere, catch vaporetto to Piazza Romale, then ATVO coach to Marco Polo airport).

OR you could splurge and get a private water taxi for either (or both) legs when arriving / departing with your luggage (as you are using points for the accommodation - so it's effectively 2 free nights).

If you need to get in and get out and see the main sights in a limited time frame go Stucky, but if you can linger for longer and can put off the trip to Paris, then I'd plump for the Boscolo Autograph.

Mentioned in this post
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
St. Mark's Square
St. Mark's Square
30,723 Reviews
Venice, Italy
Grand Hotel Dei Dogi
Grand Hotel Dei Dogi
1,719 Reviews
Venice, Italy
Strada Nuova
Strada Nuova
55 Reviews
Venice, Italy
Hotel Santa Lucia
Hotel Santa Lucia
777 Reviews
Venice, Italy
Marco Polo Airport
Marco Polo Airport
Venice, Italy
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
10. Re: Between Hilton Molino Stucky or Boscolo Venezia Autograph?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 May 2014, 17:03