We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help! Need to book train trip from Venice to Salzburg, Aus.

Willamette Valley...
Level Contributor
252 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Help! Need to book train trip from Venice to Salzburg, Aus.

My family of 4 will be visiting both Venice for the first time, arriving in Venice on Thursday June 5th. We will be coming by train from Cinque Terre and staying at the Residenza de l'Osmari. June 8th we need to leave in the morning on a train for Salzburg, Austria. I have not yet booked any train travel for our trip and am just getting started on it. I'm trying to do some research ahead of time so I do not mess up and reserve the wrong seats/train etc. This particular route I believe involves a connection to a double decker motor coach and it seems difficult to find an earlier time out of Venice. Any advice would be helpful!

London
Level Contributor
141 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help! Need to book train trip from Venice to Salzburg, Aus.

Hi Damasco1

Here is a good link:

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g190441-i391-k51…

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
9,576 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help! Need to book train trip from Venice to Salzburg, Aus.

@Damasco1

May I remind you that June 8th is only one month away, so if you want to get the best fares, do book NOW!

Having said that, I have to inform you that there is only one direct connection from Venice to Salzburg, via Villach (changing at Villach), cost approximately € 43. (leaving at 3:59pm)

Since I could not find this connection at Trenitalia, BEWARE booking with www.oebb.at. Only proceed with booking if you can print-at-home tickets, since if ticket must be collected, obviously you cannot collect at the originating country, which is Italy/Venice.

Going by other connection requires multiple changes via Verona Porta Nuova and Innsbruck, with the consequence that different sectors need to be booked at different sites (Italian and Austrian railway sites).

Here is the best alternative:

an Austrian Federal Railways (OEBB) Intercity bus leaves Venice Tronchetto 3 times a day, at 09:20, 11:20, and 18:20., destination Villach. From Villach, continue to Salzburg by train. The bus stops just in front of Villach railway station, and the whole journey can be booked with www.oebb.at for a total fee of € 28 (discounted ticket which sells out quickly, as the Intercity bus is reserved seating only)

Willamette Valley...
Level Contributor
252 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Help! Need to book train trip from Venice to Salzburg, Aus.

Thank you for all of that invaluable information hadiwi56a. I realize I'm getting a later start on the train arrangements, at least my hotels are booked in 5 separate cities and I'm ahead on some other things! I am making this my top priority so hope to have this leg of the trip booked by end of day tomorrow (with your help!) and move on to the other train rides: Pisa-Monterosso, Monterosso-Venice, Salzburg-Lucerne, Lucerne-Zurich.... ugh!

Willamette Valley...
Level Contributor
252 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Help! Need to book train trip from Venice to Salzburg, Aus.

First ticket booked, 4 more train trips to go!

5. Re: Help! Need to book train trip from Venice to Salzburg, Aus.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 May 2015, 06:16