We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can you view Doge's Palace before you start your SI tour?

Which Venice hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
112 posts
79 reviews
Save Topic
Can you view Doge's Palace before you start your SI tour?

I am going to book a Secret Itineraries tour in September but I have read on TA threads that it's better to tour the Palace before you do the SI tour is this correct? It's just that I have to book a time for the SI tour and I am unsure which time to book. And also is it correct that you can enter the Palace beforehand on your SI tour ticket and not have to pay extra?

Thank you

Chorley, United...
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
18,577 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can you view Doge's Palace before you start your SI tour?

As far as I am aware currently you have admission to the public parts of the Doge's Palace after you have completed the Secret itineraries tour

Tallahassee, Florida
Level Contributor
1,956 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Can you view Doge's Palace before you start your SI tour?

I really don't think it's necessary to tour the Doges Palace before taking the SI. I do think it's helpful to understand Venetian history so you understand how the political system worked in Venice. You probably want to do the SI in the morning since it can get hot in the confined quarters of the tour. You may be able to walk around a little bit before the tour (after you exchange your voucher for an actual ticket).

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,236 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Can you view Doge's Palace before you start your SI tour?

Yes, technically you could see the palace before the SI tour.

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
46,258 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Can you view Doge's Palace before you start your SI tour?

I n the warm weather it is best to do the S.I Tour prior visiting the rest of the Palace, as the Tour visits some very confined spaces, but should you wish to go around the Palace prior to the Tour there is no reason why not,

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
112 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Can you view Doge's Palace before you start your SI tour?

Thank you all for your replies. I will try to book the first available time and see how it goes.

Venice, Italy
Level Contributor
1,600 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Can you view Doge's Palace before you start your SI tour?

I would definitely suggest you to tour the palace before taking the Secret Itineraries tour in order to better understand what you are going to see.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,236 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Can you view Doge's Palace before you start your SI tour?

Frecciadellalalaguna,

I certainly wish we had seen the Palazzo BEFORE the SI tour! I didn't realize that there was so much of the Palazzo that is NOT covered by the SI tour. After the tour, we wanted to stay and see the general areas but we had made lunch plans outside (cannot go out and come back in on the same ticket). We ended up rushing through the Palazzo in 15 min.

Between the Clock Tower tour, the SI tour and the Museo Correr visit, one could spend a full day sightseeing just in the Piazza San Marco area!

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
112 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Can you view Doge's Palace before you start your SI tour?

Thanks for the replies everyone. Just to clarify..... when I book the SI tour try to book the latest time (if not booked out) for the English tour and get there early to look around the Palace before commencing the SI tour. Also the price of the SI tour ticket will enable us to enter the Palace beforehand to look around without being charged any extra is that correct?

Thanks heaps!

Venice, Italy
Level Contributor
1,600 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Can you view Doge's Palace before you start your SI tour?

Correct.

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
112 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Can you view Doge's Palace before you start your SI tour?

Thank heaps Frecciadellalalaguna!!!!