We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Venice to Verona train journey

London
Level Contributor
160 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
Venice to Verona train journey

Hello!

I've found a few very old posts about this but wanted to check I have the right information.

I'm in Venice for a week and want to spend a day in Verona.

Can anyone give me instructions for where to buy tickets and how frequent the trains go? How early/late should I travel, and would there be any restrictions?

I don't speak any Italian and am nervous about ending up on the wrong train or even missing it!

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Verona
Verona
Province of Verona, Italy
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
43,610 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Venice to Verona train journey

There are a lot of trains - some costing more than others, some faster than others - not speaking Italian makes no difference.

You would just need to check the departure (partenze) board at the train stations to see which track (binario) your train is on which usually posts about 15 minutes prior to departure.

It is all very easy to do - www.trenitalia.com - click on UK flag upper right for English, use station names Venezia S Lucia and Verona Porta Nuova, put a low number like 6 in the box for the hour to get a full day's schedule (check a date within the next 7 days to see all potential trains you can take)

You could buy in advance online if there is a discount offered on a reserved train (read terms and conditions of such fares) or just go to the station on the day of and buy it then

Mentioned in this post
Verona
Verona
Province of Verona, Italy
London
Level Contributor
160 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Venice to Verona train journey

Thanks, I had read that I buy a ticket for the journey rather than a fixed time train, but when I look on the site the prices range from around 18-48 Euros.... so presumably I need to choose exactly which trains I want or risk paying a high price on the day?

London
Level Contributor
160 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Venice to Verona train journey

The different trains are 'regionale', frecciobianca' and 'regionale veloce', are they different types of service?

The regionale trains don't seem to let me buy a ticket 7 days ahead so maybe these are the ones we can just buy on the day for a fixed price?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
43,610 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Venice to Verona train journey

You can take a regional train (which takes a bit longer) which does NOT have a reserved seat. You just board and find a seat.

If you want a reserved seat, then you can buy in advance for one of the reserved trains at a lower fare, if such a lower fare is on offer. They do sell out and you cannot buy a discounted fare at the station on the day of travel.

It is up to you as to what you wish to spend.

London
Level Contributor
160 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Venice to Verona train journey

Thanks MomCat - are the regional trains always the same price, whenever you buy them? So makes no difference if I wait until the day?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
43,610 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Venice to Verona train journey

Yes. Be sure to stamp the regional ticket in one of the validation boxes on a pole which is usually by the track. Because it is unreserved, it MUST be stamped/validated prior to boarding so the conductor knows it is not a ticket that has been unlawfully used before. You only need to do this with trains that have unreserved seats - if you buy one with a seat, there is no need to validate the ticket.

If you neglect to validate the ticket, you can be fined on the spot for not having a validated ticket.

London
Level Contributor
160 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Venice to Verona train journey

Great, thanks! Do you know roughly how much they cost?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
43,610 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Venice to Verona train journey

If you follow the earlier directions I gave you for the Trenitalia site, you will see the prices.

London
Level Contributor
160 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Venice to Verona train journey

Ah got it now - it wasn't showing prices as my journey day is over a week away.

But I have searched for a random date next week and the regional trains all seem to be around 8 Euros return.

Thanks!

Watertown, MA
Level Contributor
2,766 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Venice to Verona train journey

I see €8.55 one way which means €17.10 return.

At the train station you can take a bus to the historic center, the tourist office is near Piazza Bra.

a wonderful day trip!