We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What's best day to visit Burano and Murano during Vogalonga

Tequesta, FL
Level Contributor
99 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
What's best day to visit Burano and Murano during Vogalonga

Just found out that the weekend we will be in Venice coincides with Vogalonga. We arrive at 9;30am Friday, June 6. We have the Secret Itineraries tour on Sat. morning (I believe it's 11:00 or 11:30am). We were planning to visit Burano and Murano on Sunday, but now we may have to change plans due to Vogalonga. Should we go Friday after we arrive, Saturday after the Doge tour or keep to our original plan and go Sunday? Am already trying to make dinner reservations because I know the city will be more crowded than usual, if that's possible.

Chorley, United...
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
18,683 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What's best day to visit Burano and Murano during Vogalonga

If you are arriving on a Friday at 9.30 am (after a long flight?) and you are only in Venice for the following Saturday and Sunday have you time to go to Murano and Burano? There is a great deal to see in the city of Venice itself without travelling to the outlying islands in the lagoon

Certainly on the day of the Vogalonga (well worth watching for a little time as a spectacle) the water bus service out to both Murano and the much longer journey out to Burano will be disrupted as the 1000 + boats race round the lagoon and down back along the Cannaregio Canal before the final dash down to Grand Canal.

if it is vital you should go to Murano and/or Burano then I suggest not on the day of the Vogalonga.

Tequesta, FL
Level Contributor
99 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What's best day to visit Burano and Murano during Vogalonga

Thank you Robert-J, we'll probably skip the islands.

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
47,052 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What's best day to visit Burano and Murano during Vogalonga

I really think that may be your best plan, you are only in Venice a short while, there is more than enough to see there,

Hertford, United...
Level Contributor
613 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What's best day to visit Burano and Murano during Vogalonga

If it's your first visit, skip these islands, as the journeys there take some time. They're lovely and worth a visit when you have time. Murano is worth a short visit if you want a flavour of a different island.

5. Re: What's best day to visit Burano and Murano during Vogalonga

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 June 2015, 05:15