We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Disabled Concessions

Which Venice hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Level Contributor
471 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
Disabled Concessions

I'm spending a few days in Venice with my father in August. When I visited last time I was told that I needed a particular card or ID for entrance concessions to museums etc, private and state ones. Does anybody know what I should get my father to take?

Chorley, United...
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
18,570 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Disabled Concessions

As an elderly (84 year old) and partially disable man I can say I take full advantage of facilities available. If your father is of retirement age and a UK citizen then his passport is all he needs to prove age and nationality. This will entitle him, as for all EU citizens) to free entrance to state museums and art galleries and some discounts at civic and some private museums and art galleries

On the water buses the front row of seats in the cabins are reserved for disabed, pegnant women and women with children in arms. Not that tourists always abide by this rule even though it is clearly marked and on occasions I have had to adopt my "annoyed with student tone of voice" to obtain a seat.

London, United...
Level Contributor
471 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Disabled Concessions

Thank you for that. My father is the same age as you! We found last time that privately owned museums and palaces didn't offer discounts without a special card or ID. His passport wasn't enough!

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
31,867 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Disabled Concessions

A passport or (for EU citizens whose governments issue these) national ID card proves citizenship and age, and is needed to benefit from concessions based on those criteria - but not those based on disability.

In Italy, and many (most?) other EU countries, disabled persons are issued with a card by their national health insurance system which specifically identifies them as disabled, and which is what is needed to benefit from concessions available to disabled persons and, in many cases, a helper. Unfortunately it seems that the UK does issue such cards (see http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187791-i22-k6558487-Proof_of_disability_in_Rome-Rome_Lazio.html).

It might just be possible to bring a letter from a doctor together with an official translation - or, if your father is a blue badge holder, bring that together with whatever local authority documents you may have linking this to him: this EU scheme provides reciprocal benefits in terms of disabled parking - which you would only need in Venice if coming by car as it applies at the Piazzale Roma city parking garage, cf. http://www.veneziaunica.it/sites/default/files/redazione/accoglienza_disabili_EN.pdf). But it might just help museum staff or other concerned officials if they have any leeway to exercise discretion in judging "disabled" status.

In the absence of some sort of official document proving his "disabled" status, your father can't benefit from this particular concession offered e.g. for the St. Marks Square Museums ticket (…visitmuve.it/en/…) or Chorus Card: (www.chorusvenezia.org/index.php…), both of which are free to disabled users + helper. He can, however, benefit from reduced prices on the basis of age, for which as already noted, his passport provides the necessary evidence.

Edited: 25 May 2014, 16:25
4. Re: Disabled Concessions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 May 2015, 06:15