We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Voga Longa and the Canoe and Dragon Boat Festival

Which Venice hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Malaga, Spain
Level Contributor
750 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Voga Longa and the Canoe and Dragon Boat Festival

We will be in Venice from late afternoon Wednesday 4th June to 11ish in the morning of 8th June next week. I have just found out about Voga Longa and the Venice Canoe and Dragon Boat Festival. Can you please help with these questions:

1. Where would be good places to view these events?

2. When is the best time to get to the venues?

3. Would we in fact be able to see anything of Voga Longa given that we have to catch a train from Mestre at 11.32 a.m. on the 8th? We can buy a train ticket from Venice to Mestre beforehand. We only travel with hand luggage and could have this with us during Voga Longa if necessary.

Many thanks for your help.

PS Have just seen that Voga Longa is on 11th May! So please ignore that part.

Edited: 30 May 2014, 10:45
Malaga, Spain
Level Contributor
750 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Voga Longa and the Canoe and Dragon Boat Festival

I was right 1st time. It is 8th June. There is some stuff about another year's festival on the official website and that confused me. I'm easily confused, it would seem!

Chorley, United...
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
18,499 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Voga Longa and the Canoe and Dragon Boat Festival

Boats of all types come down the Grand canal early in the morning to the start of the event in the basin of San Marco so you will certainly be able to see the start of the race if you stand anywhere along the Riva degli Schiavoni. I usually watch the boats coming down the Grand Canal early before breakfast from Campo San Vio in Dorsoduro and then walk along to the Dogana at th eeastern end of Dorsoduro to see the start.

Venice
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
9,048 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Voga Longa and the Canoe and Dragon Boat Festival

You could see the departure in the lagoon basin at 9 am and then work your way up to the station. The fast boats will be arriving from about 11 onwards , the bulk between 12 and 13 then there will be boats arriving most of the afternoon in bits and bobs !!!!! The vogalonga includes the dragon boats and canoe in fact all types of rowing boats.

Malaga, Spain
Level Contributor
750 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Voga Longa and the Canoe and Dragon Boat Festival

Thanks, Robert and Rosa. That's very helpful and has all gone into my notes for the trip.

Venice, Italy
Level Contributor
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Voga Longa and the Canoe and Dragon Boat Festival

Hi

I have only just seen this post - hope your trip is going well and that you enjoyed the Vogalonga - spectacular event in its 40th year.

The Venice Dragon Boat Festival is a new biennial event now in its 2nd edition, open to all dragon boat teams and held only 2 days before the Vogalonga - gives a chance for teams coming to Venice to take in 2 events at one time. It was held at the Lido on Friday 6th. You can see some photos on www.venicedragonboat.com

Next edition of the Festival is in 2016 - again only 2 days before the Vogalonga.

Cheers

Maria

Venice Dragon Boat Festival Organiser

6. Re: Voga Longa and the Canoe and Dragon Boat Festival

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 June 2015, 05:15