We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lighting in the summer

Los Angeles...
7 posts
Save Topic
Lighting in the summer

Anyone have any idea how bright Venice is for photography from 9-12 am in July? Trying to book a photographer and some say the sun is too harsh? We are in Texas and get bad burn out...don't think Italy wi be as hard. Any recommendations for a good photographer? I've had three change their minds.

Chorley, United...
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
18,683 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lighting in the summer

I have taken hundreds of photographs in Venice at all times of the day and similarly many ore when I lived in Africa some 50 miles south of the equator. Mid-day sun in Venice is mild compared with the African mid-day sun and under neither set of conditions do you get burn-out if you take care not to point your camera in the general direction of the sun but always have the sun on your back when you take a photograph. After that precaution it is only a matter of using the appropriate aperture which is not a problem with modern cameras, When I first took photographs in the Sudan in the early 1950's(before I moved on to East Africa) cameras did not have their own exposure meters and you had to use a hand-held light meter and then set the camera so burn-out was a possibility if you did not take care.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
56,148 posts
453 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lighting in the summer

I didn't experience any harsh light problems last year when I took quite a lot of photos between 1000 and 1600. It was very warm, but my shots were fine and there was very little glare.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,175 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lighting in the summer

100ASA, f32 at 1/64th should do the trick.

Los Angeles...
7 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Lighting in the summer

Awesome thanks! I didn't think with location latitude it would be so bright. I don't want to have all the portraits brownout. A appreciate your time in responding!

Los Angeles...
7 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Lighting in the summer

Awesome thanks! I didn't think with location latitude it would be so bright. I don't want to have all the portraits brownout. I appreciate your time and efforts in responding!

Edited: 01 June 2014, 04:46
6. Re: Lighting in the summer

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 June 2015, 06:16