We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Walks in Venice

Malaga, Spain
Level Contributor
750 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Walks in Venice

I don't like organised tours and I have to admit that when I have taken them in the past, I have always found myself pushing to the front of the group so I could hear what the guide was saying. Even that is pointless, because you very quickly forget what was said and you can't "wind back" and play the tape again. So I bought a Kindle book by Rick Steves but was very disappointed because the walks were very short. Searching on past Tripadvisor posts I came across this: aloverofvenice.com/HiddenCorners/HiddenCorne… and I felt I must share it, because it is brilliant and free! The photos alone of the 6 walks make you feel you are already in Venice and the author gives lots of background on the sights, cafes etc. along the way. These walks would fill a morning or afternoon and this man really does know about the "hidden corners" of Venice.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
7,112 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Walks in Venice

Thanks Scousetwirly - that is such a good guide, with great pictures and lots of fascinating background. I can't say I've read it all yet - it's huge! - but I will. Highly recommended.

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
46,844 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Walks in Venice

That same site gives a lot of other aspects of Venice as well, well worth reading,

http://aloverofvenice.com/

3. Re: Walks in Venice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 04 June 2014, 04:05
Malaga, Spain
Level Contributor
750 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Walks in Venice

I don't feed trolls.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
7,112 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Walks in Venice

Yes, it could well be a troll. But in case it isn't I would point out that No 3 has got it completely wrong. OP hasn't 'dismissed' organised walks - he just said he didn't like them. He is entitled to his opinion, just as no 3 is entitled to his.

Those of us who prefer to explore independently are not 'arrogant' or 'superior', we just prefer to go at our own speed and not to be with a crowd, taking time to enjoy the things and places that really interest us, rather than trailing round after a guide.

That's not a judgmental thing, it's just a personal preference. Each to his own!

Edited: 01 June 2014, 12:49
Valley Village, CA
Level Contributor
120 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Walks in Venice

Excellent guide, written by someone who obviously loves Venice.

Level Contributor
6 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Walks in Venice

In the future you should try audio tours (via podcast on your smartphone or MP3 player). Rick Steves has plenty to offer in Venice and all throughout Europe. I took the St. Mark's Square walking tour with him, which was about a 45 minute walk. You don't have to worry about not hearing because he's right in your ear, and you can always rewind. He is very knowledgeable and comprehensive in his descriptions of every nook and cranny in the square. He also provides a map you can download so you know where you're going (in addition to the verbal directions he gives). Bonus: his audio tours are free!

I also did the Grand Canal tour, but note that requires a vaporetto ticket to ride down the canal - about 7 Euro. He describes historical and famous places at each stop on the ride. You pause and fast forward as needed - as the vaporetto travels.

Oxnard, CA
Level Contributor
154 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Walks in Venice

Hi: Is it just my browser? I cannot get your link to work...after a few work arounds I get a message the site is down. Anyone else having this problem?

UK
Level Contributor
1,596 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Walks in Venice

No, it's not your browser. The site is down. The guy who wrote it has decided to give it a rest for a while. I thought that stuff on the internet was there forever, but it seems this is not the case.

There are some good and interesting walks to be found on venessia.com .

10. Re: Walks in Venice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 August 2015, 05:15