We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best sestiere for a quiet gondola ride in July?

Dunedin, New Zealand
Level Contributor
21 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Best sestiere for a quiet gondola ride in July?

We'll be in Venice just for a day in July. We know that's a tiny slice of time, and we know it'll be packed, and yet we're sure we can maximise our enjoyment by being smart...

We will be taking a gondola ride, and are hoping the wonderful Venice experts on Tripadvisor can help us choose the right sestiere to hail one. We've seen the youtube videos of bumper tp bumper gondolas going under the Bridge of Sighs - that's not what we want. We want to find somewhere as quiet and authentic and narrow as possible, accepting of course that in July it is going to be busy everywhere...

We're not worried about seeing any specific tourist site from the gondola. And we're not worried about having to walk a ways to get to the right sestiere.

Are there even gondolas available in the quieter areas? Are all the gondola rides around San Marco/San Polo bumper to bumper disney rides in July? We like the idea of Cannaregio or Dorsoduro... are there enough gorgeous canals and gondolas in these sestieri?

Any help or shared experiences will be greatly appreciated!!

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
46,654 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best sestiere for a quiet gondola ride in July?

This site give's Gondola Stations, you do not have to book ,and there are Gondoliers plying for hire all over Venice, although a lot touch the Grand Canal they do also go to the quieter parts,

gondolieritravel.com/gondola/…

Newport, Australia
Level Contributor
316 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best sestiere for a quiet gondola ride in July?

I'd suggest taking a gondola from San Toma. They do go through the smaller canals and are not part of the 'train' of gondolas you see elsewhere. To find it make your way to Campo San Toma and then walk down beside the cafe 'Ciaks' towards the Grand Canal.

Benson, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,248 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best sestiere for a quiet gondola ride in July?

We took a great ride in Cannaregio with a Gondolierie (sp) with a long pony tail who spoke great English…unfortunately I don't remember his name and can not tell you the exact spot we got him but I am hoping if I describe the place those living there can tell you names…He can be found in the square near the Jewish Ghetto area…of of the canal that Ai Timon is on but further down….I know this is probably not making sense so I am sorry for that but her was really good…and the ride was really wonderful...

Edited: 03 June 2014, 12:09
Venice, Italy
Destination Expert
for Venice, City of Venice
Level Contributor
7,661 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best sestiere for a quiet gondola ride in July?

That sounds like "Cuba", one of the only foreign gondoliers. He also usually rows a "sandalo", a traditional Venetian craft that is slightly different from a gondola (slightly flatter shaped), though the process of rowing it is almost identical.

5. Re: Best sestiere for a quiet gondola ride in July?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 June 2015, 06:16