We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Non-touristy restaurant near Locanda Orseolo

Which Venice hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
27 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Non-touristy restaurant near Locanda Orseolo

We're staying at the Locanda Orseolo, Corte Zorzi, San Marco 1083 later this month (spouse and 2 teens). We don't need fine dining, just good food and maybe some locals. We've been warned against multi-lingual menus and waiters beckoning customers inside (though maybe that's more common in Rome?). Any restaurant recommendations?

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
248 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Non-touristy restaurant near Locanda Orseolo

"We've been warned against multi-lingual menus and waiters beckoning customers inside (though maybe that's more common in Rome?)"

Nope, same advice applies in Venice, at least based on my 3 days' experience.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
3,089 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Non-touristy restaurant near Locanda Orseolo

We've spent many weeks in Italy over the course of four trips. In my experience multi-lingual menus are not a deal killer. However, we always avoid restaurants with waiters beckoning us in. If the restaurant is good, there will be enough locals eating there that they don't have to beg for customers.

Another tip - the shorter the menu, the better the food. Not 100% ironclad, but waaaay more true than not.

Edited: 05 June 2014, 00:27
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
39,588 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Non-touristy restaurant near Locanda Orseolo

And, very common around Locanda Orseolo. I stayed there a few years ago and while I adored the lodging (they really are delightful), the area is drowning in crowds. Wherever I walked, touts outside of restaurants were trying to coax me inside; I just wandered to other areas where in some cases there were few other people to find places to eat.

You are smack right by San Marco and you won't find a non-touristy restaurant in the area nor in most of Venice - There will be tourists in every restaurant for the most part - doesn't necessarily mean they won't be decent.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
3,089 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Non-touristy restaurant near Locanda Orseolo

To find non-touristy, you will definitely need to wander away from SM. Try Paradiso Perduto in Cannaregio. Lots of locals and very lively.

Venice, Italy
Destination Expert
for Venice, City of Venice
Level Contributor
7,594 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Non-touristy restaurant near Locanda Orseolo

Nearby that area, try Osteria da Carla, Alle Colonne, Da Mario alla Fava, Antico Calice.

Multilingual menus I don't think are the problem (as I usually find grave errors in the translation, at least in the English part), but illustrated menus prominently displayed are for sure a problem, from my experience. Hand written menus are generally a very good sign, though not always a 100% guarantee (particularly if they look like they have been up for more than a day or max. two).

"Hawkers" I think are always a bad sign, particularly if they are handing out business cards.

Edited: 05 June 2014, 00:50
Surrey
Level Contributor
2,398 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Non-touristy restaurant near Locanda Orseolo

Amazingly I've never spotted a tourist in the Dok fall"Ava restaurant above the new Punto supermarket. - ask for their daily specials menu. Also the tiny Enoteca La Volta in Calle Cavalli is mostly frequented by locals. All good family restaurant very popular with both locals and tourists is 'Da Mamo. All near your hotel in San Marco and all have websites for more information.

Benson, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,242 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Non-touristy restaurant near Locanda Orseolo

Also the people at Locanda Orseolo are good about recommending places for you...

8. Re: Non-touristy restaurant near Locanda Orseolo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 June 2015, 06:16