We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

20,000 questions about the Lido - for an 86 year old!

Which Venice hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London
Level Contributor
57 posts
95 reviews
Save Topic
20,000 questions about the Lido - for an 86 year old!

Hi,

My two nieces and their 86 year old grandfather have been enjoying several days in Venice but although he's fit, their grandfather now needs a bit of chill-out time so they'd like to go to the Lido this Sunday. I presume they'd get a vaporetto from St Mark's across to the Lido but is there a boat that goes straight round to the beach or should they get a bus from the waterstop taxi to the beach?

No doubt the public beach on a Sunday will be very busy so they're happy to pay for entrance to a private beach. Which private beach would you recommend please? Ideally the typical sort that might have been featured in Death in Venice (yes, a cliche I know but that's the ideal!) Also how much would it cost to hire parasols, sun loungers, towels etc?

I reckon they'd also like to be able to get lunch on the same beach or nearby so any restaurant recommendations would also be greatly appreciated.

Also, if it's raining (?!) where would you suggest they go in Venice for a bit of chill-out time, away from the crowds for a bit?!! Fingers crossed you'll be able to help as there doesn't seem to be much up-to-date info about the Lido.

Many thanks in anticipation!

Venice, Italy
Destination Expert
for Venice, City of Venice
Level Contributor
7,555 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 20,000 questions about the Lido - for an 86 year old!

The n°1 vaporetto from either San Marco Vallaresso or San Zaccaria, or the 5.1 from San Zaccaria both go to Santa Maria Elisabetta on the Lido. After walking the length of the Gran Viale (cutting straight across the island from the Lido vaporetto stop you can turn left to "Zona A" or right to "Des Bains" [the one actually featured in "A Death in Venice"] or after that "Consorzio" or "Excelsior" or "Quattro Fontane") where it is possible to rent a changing capanna and other beach equipment (see sabvenezialido.com/index.php/en/seasonal-rat… or https:/…tariffeLdA.pdf for some prices - from about €35 per day on up - the famously iconic "Tucul at Des Bains" can cost up to €160 per day in June).

All of the beaches have restaurants inside their areas, and all that I have eaten at range from good enough to very good depending on the restaurant and the meal chosen, so I wouldn't bother leaving the beach to go eat.

Venice, Italy
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,555 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 20,000 questions about the Lido - for an 86 year old!

I forgot, the n°2 line also goes to and from Lido now as well on some runs from 9am to around midnight with the new summer schedule since last Saturday.

London
Level Contributor
57 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 20,000 questions about the Lido - for an 86 year old!

Thank you SO much for that very speedy response! That is incredibly helpful and will be a relief to his grand-daughters who want everything to go smoothly for him! Grazie mille!

London
Level Contributor
57 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 20,000 questions about the Lido - for an 86 year old!

By the way, they're planning to visit the Lido this Sunday - what time would you recommend they get there so that they can get a good sun-lounger position?!

Venice, Italy
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,555 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 20,000 questions about the Lido - for an 86 year old!

At the private beaches the cabins are predefined and the area near the water is freely available without much difficulty (people come and go to the water's edge all day). But to enjoy the day, probably around 10ish?

Venice, Italy
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
606 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 20,000 questions about the Lido - for an 86 year old!

This Sunday is the Vogalonga boat race, which affects the vaporetto schedules.

Here is the link to the ACTV page: http://www.actv.it/sites/default/files/es_vogalonga_2014_web(1).pdf

Venice, Italy
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,555 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 20,000 questions about the Lido - for an 86 year old!

In practical terms, the Vogalonga (which I forgot about) means they will need to board either the n°1 or n°5.1 lines after 9:30am from the San Zaccaria stop at the east end of Piazza San Marco, not the San Marco Vallaresso stop. For the return there will be no problems.

London
Level Contributor
57 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 20,000 questions about the Lido - for an 86 year old!

Thank you so much everyone for your help! x

Edited: 06 June 2014, 10:36
Benson, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,242 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 20,000 questions about the Lido - for an 86 year old!

Also if they do not want to walk from the gap stop to the beach I believe there is a public bus that they can ale straight down to the beach…but I am sure there is someone on the forum who knows more than I do…I am going from my memory which hasn't been as good as it use to be..also not sure if the ticket used for the vaporetto is good for that either…anyway just a thought...

Venice, Italy
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,555 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 20,000 questions about the Lido - for an 86 year old!

Thre is the A line bus to the "Zona A" beach, and the CO and V lines which pass the Des Bains, Consorzio, Excelsior and Quattro Fontane beaches.