We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Venice water bus

Which Venice hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Washington DC...
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Venice water bus

Hi,

I am having trouble navigating what appear to be two different water bus lines in Venice-- the ACTV and the Alilaguna (service to and from the airport). My husband and I will be arriving at about 9 pm on a Saturday night to Marco Polo airport and I am trying to choose between two hotels, one that is near the Fundamente Nove water bus stop and one near the San Marco bus stop. According to what (I think) I've found, the water bus ride on Alilaguna would be 30 minutes to the former and an hour and 20 minutes to the latter-- and it is not possible to take ACTV from the airport without transferring. Is that correct? Is it really such a long ride from the airport to San Marco?

Thank you,

Debby

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
83,845 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Venice water bus

Alilaguna and ACTV are quite separate companies. Alilaguna provides water transport between Marco Polo airport and Venice. ACTV provides local public transport within Venice, including the vaporetto services and buses on Lido and Mestre.

It is an hour or so from the airport to San Marco: water transport is not fast.

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
46,120 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Venice water bus

There is actv Bus from the airport (not Water Bus - Vaporetto) which takes 20 minutes, It is a Alilaguna Ferry that goes from the Airport to Venice,

Washington DC...
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Venice water bus

Hello and thank you for the replies. I'm still a little confused. Am I correct in understanding that the only way to get from the airport to San Marco is via water transport, and on Alilaguna specifically? Or Sophie8, are you suggesting that I can I take an ACTV/Vaporetto bus that takes 20 minutes to get to San Marco?

Thanks again,

Debby

Level Contributor
1,251 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Venice water bus

Post number 2 tokd you there are land buses which goes from airport to Venice train station. Being the train station on the island, then you can walk or take a water bus or a water taxi to reach the hotel. Water link from the airport simply brings you directly to san marco which can be useless if your hotel is closer to the station.

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
46,120 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Venice water bus

Actually the Bus from the Airport goes to Piazzale Roma in Venice the terminus for Motor vehicles ,from there you can get Vaporetto or walk to your Hotel,

The alilaguna ferries go to several parts of Venice not just San Marco

www.alilaguna.it

6. Re: Venice water bus

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 June 2015, 06:16