We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

7 hours in Venice!

Which Venice hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Massachustts
Level Contributor
180 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
7 hours in Venice!

We arrive by train about 10am. We will only be there about 7 hours. On my to do list is a gondola ride and St Marks Square and a good lunch away from main tourist area. Please help me and give me some tips how to best navigate this.

Thanks!

Chorley, United...
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
18,465 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 7 hours in Venice!

You will certainly not see anything but a tiny fragment of Venice in such a short visit.

I suggest, if you arrive by train at Santa Lucia station, that you go to the Ferrovia water bus landing stage immediatelyi n front of the station on the banks of the Grand Canal. There you can take either a No1 (slower) or No. 2 (slightly faster)water bus down the Grand Canal to the San Zaccaria landing stage close to the Doge's palace. Tickets cost 7 euros and must be validated by passing in front of the electronic scanner you will find on each landing stage before you board the water bus. These are single tickets, not returns.

You will have a short timein which to at least see the exterior of the Doge's Palace, the Basilica of San Marco and Piazza San Marco. You might even be able to spare the time to see the interior of something.

A good lunch away from the main tourist area means travelling some distance from Piazza San Marco . You could take the water bus (vaporetto) back from San Zaccaria to the Accademia landing stage and then walking a short distance down the left hand side of the gallery to agli Alboretti, on the left hand side of Rio tera Antonio Foscarini, which I think is one of the better Venetian restaurants and not too touristy. Not that you can ever completely escape tourists in Venice.

Massachustts
Level Contributor
180 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 7 hours in Venice!

Thanks so much these suggestions. I'm assuming we should just purchase individual tickets for each ride? So we would need 3 tickets each if we were to go from train to San Zaccaria then to Accademia and then back to train?

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
45,999 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 7 hours in Venice!

You would need a ticket for each journey, @€7. I would suggest if you intend to use the Vaporetto several times a 12 hour pass would be worth considering these would be €18 each pass which you buy at the Vaporetto stop, and do validate before each use,

Massachustts
Level Contributor
180 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 7 hours in Venice!

Our plans have changed!!We will now spend 2 nts in Venice! So I am thinking the vaporetto pass should be for 48 hours? Thanks again! Any other restaurant recommendations? We love the smaller family owned restaurants.

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
45,999 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 7 hours in Venice!

Where will you be staying, better for giving Restaurant ideas.

Massachustts
Level Contributor
180 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 7 hours in Venice!

I'm just researching hotels now. Would like to stay in the $200 range. Any suggestions? We don't mind be a bit outside the hub bub.

Thanks!

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
45,999 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 7 hours in Venice!

Best away from the San Marco area and should bee more reasonable, not too sure of the exchange rate,

8. Re: 7 hours in Venice!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 June 2015, 05:17