We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Warning - stupid weather question ahead!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
26,989 posts
60 reviews
Save Topic
Warning - stupid weather question ahead!

Ok, don't you just hate people who ask about the weather? I'm going to ask about the weather...specifically, the rain. :) Its because I'm thinking about packing and what to bring.

When it rains here, it tends to rain all day. It usually isn't too heavy, but it will come in bursts, then back down to a drizzle, and it can go on like that for days.

How does it typically rain there? We'll be there in a month, if that makes a difference. Does it tend to be morning thunder showers and then brighten up? Does it rain hard all day (obviously, it won't rain every day, but I think we need to be prepared for some rain during our trip).

Is it the sort of rain where you just run under cover for 20 minutes until it passes, or is it the sort of thing where you just dress for the weather and carry on?

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
39 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Warning - stupid weather question ahead!

I completely understand the dilemma - I was in Venice at the end of May and had the same concerns, especially with the footwear. Wet sandals are not comfortable at all, but neither is wearing closed toe shoes in 20°c + weather when you're walking around all day! I just wanted to add that in my experience, if the forecast calls for the slightest chance of rain during the day, believe it, even if it looks bright and sunny in the morning, and prepare accordingly. I was caught unprepared in a couple downpours that were forecasted, but still seemed to come out of nowhere and had to resort to buying a disposable poncho for €3.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,111 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Warning - stupid weather question ahead!

A small Rick Steves like backpack for a bottle or two of water...and a small pop-up umbrella or two, which you can buy in Italy from a street vendor who appear magically when it starts to rain. Emergency plastic ponchos on hand seem to ward off rain for us....:-).

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
47,057 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Warning - stupid weather question ahead!

I agree about Ponchos they are cheap, and sturdy,, and small when not in use, they appear like umbrella's when it rains,

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
26,989 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Warning - stupid weather question ahead!

Hmmm - and I think we even have a couple of ponchos from a trip to Disneyland...Thanks for mentioning that. I will see if I can locate them and just toss them in the case. I hate carrying an umbrella around. Would rather have a rain coat or a poncho, but Wet Coast rain coats are a bit too warm and heavy for this climate.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
26,989 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Warning - stupid weather question ahead!

Ha ha ha ha haha. You were all having a good laugh, weren't you? Just glad I brought an extra pair of shoes and my MEC Gore-Tex. LOL

Seriously though, the rain hasn't stopped us too much, just kept us in the apt on our last day in Vencie, and the fact that it has kept the temperatures and the humidity in check, so it's not all bad. And it doesn't really matter what the weather is doing when you are inside museums and churches.

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
2,462 posts
Save Reply
26. Re: Warning - stupid weather question ahead!

Well, I warned you ...this summer has been very strange and certainly all over the map. But glad to hear that you were able to make the best of it...and Venice is certainly much better without the heat and humidity!

27. Re: Warning - stupid weather question ahead!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 August 2015, 05:16