We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I have two full days in July

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
405 posts
142 reviews
Save Topic
I have two full days in July

There are six of us ages 10-70 and we have two full days in July (a Monday and Tuesday). I'm not sure what we can get done in one day or what goes well together. I also know the secret tour may be booked already. Here are the things I think I'd like to do: St. Mark's Square, St. Mark's Basilica, clock tower (is this Campanile di San Marco?), Doge's Palace - Secret tour (Palazzo Ducale), gondola, ride on the Grand Canal, Murano, Burano, Rialto Market, mask painting (15 year old wants to do this).

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Venice, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
9,334 posts
484 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: I have two full days in July

Save Rialto market for early Tuesday morning. IMO, you shoud skip the Islands of Murano and Burano this time around. You just do not have enough time. July will be very warm and crowded in Venice. There will be people suggesting that you get "off the beaten track" where there are less tourists, but you need to see the touristy places, so this is where you will spend lots of your time. You will move slower due to the heat and crowds, and because it is difficult to maneuver through the narrow calles with a group of six. The rest of places on your list are fine, doable. Personally, I am not too fond of the Secret Itineraries Tour. It is very fast paced, with lots of people running up and down very narrow staircases, it is hot and claustrophobic, and if your tour guide is not great, the whole experience is even that much less enjoyable. Save some time for just hanging out.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
405 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: I have two full days in July

You've brought up some great points. We are from San Francisco area so I'm sure the heat will slow us down. If you don't think the secret tour would be great for us because of the pace, that's good to know. My dad has good and bad walking days. We'll be careful about the "off the beaten track" suggestions. I think If I decide what to do each of the days it'll help us stay focused. I appreciate your suggestions.

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Venice, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
9,334 posts
484 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: I have two full days in July

It will likely not be as hot as, say, in Los Angeles. So, not 100 F, but it will be humid making things worse. Secret Itineraries will not work for Dad with mobiity issues, that is for sure. If any of your group end up going, reserve the earliest possible tour, since the attic space gets real warm and uncomforable later in the day. "Off the beaten track" is not a bad thing. It is fine to explore the less crowded areas but, let us face it, the crowded San Marco is crowded for a very good reason and, since this is your first trip to Venice, you need to explore those magnificent mega tourist magnets. Generally speaking, try to get out and hit the attractions early and then chill in the afternoon.

Newport, Australia
Level Contributor
323 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: I have two full days in July

"clock tower (is this Campanile di San Marco?"

The campanile is not the same as the clock tower. The campanile is the very famous large tower in the Piazza - and it has an elevator, so access to the top is easy. The clock tower on the other hand has very steep winding stairs (and you would need to pre-book for the clock tower)

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
405 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: I have two full days in July

Thanks for clearing that up! I'm going to look these up again on the things to do. Obviously I'm confused. Do you think the clock tower is worth going up into on a short stay?

Tallahassee, Florida
Level Contributor
1,994 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: I have two full days in July

With such a short visit, I wouldn't bother with the clock tower. Do try and walk around a different area of Venice other than the St. Marks Square area.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
405 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: I have two full days in July

Where can I do mask painting? Here is a possible two day itinerary. I'm willing to have full days but I know things have closing times. Comments or suggestions?

Monday

St. Mark's Basilica (Basilica di San Marco) 9:45-5 If I do Doge's Palace at 8:30, when would you reserve tickets to the Basilica?

Doge's Palace and Bridge of Sighs (Palazzo Ducale) 8:30-7 - Do these tickets always require the museums? Should we do the family pack for my family with two kids and then the over 65 for my parents?

Campanile di San Marco 9-9

St. Mark's Square

Gondola Ride

Tuesday

Rialto Market (when does this get going?)

Rialto Bridge

Grand Canal ride on Vaporetto Linea 1

If time Murano or Burano

cheshire, england
Level Contributor
5,891 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: I have two full days in July

IMHO you really should forget about trying to cram in Murano or Burano - either of them would take up too much of your precious time.

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
47,067 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: I have two full days in July

Get to the Rialto early , I too would not bother with the Islands on a short visit

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
405 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: I have two full days in July

Thanks for the advice on the islands. I guess it's that problem of too much to do. I guess we'll have to save them for another trip! I appreciate your advice.