We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dress code?

Which Venice hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
94 posts
80 reviews
Save Topic
Dress code?

less than two weeks to my Venice trip and I just about sorted.

Can anyone advise me if there is a dress code?

I'm staying for 4 nights and plan to eat out fancy at least one night. Am I right in assuming that whilst shorts and t-shirt will be fine during the day at night I would be best to dress up in trousers and shoes polo/dress shirt if I'm planning on eating in any restaurants or will I be fine in my low key tourist get up?

you know your running out of things to plan when you get to this stage lol

thanks for the tips..

John

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
6,676 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dress code?

John, you have got it right! Daytime: no dress code. Evening: maybe just a little bit smarter.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
25,026 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dress code?

Vancouver tends to have very low standards when it comes to dress code. People wear jeans and sneakers to the Opera! So thanks for asking the question, its been on my mind as well. DH wears jeans to everything, so he may need to do some shopping for this one.

Woodley, United...
Level Contributor
47 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Dress code?

If they won't serve me in smart chino shorts and a shirt then they won't get my money, I'm fine with that

I doubt I will starve.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
104 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Dress code?

Al Covo and Acqua Pazza have a no shorts policy, and while many of the nicer restaurants may not have the policy, they frown upon shorts. That might only be for dinner, I am not positive about lunch. I would definitely wear slacks for the evenings you want to dine at a higher end establishments.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
104 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Dress code?

Just to clarify, I checked Al Covo's website. It says there is no dress code for lunch, but at dinner, sleeveless t-shirts and short pants might make you feel uncomfortable. I would bring a nice light weight pair of slacks for dining out in the evening at the higher end establishments.

Edited: 18 June 2014, 00:56
Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Venice, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
7,857 posts
446 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dress code?

Husband and I dress up to go anywhere, but that is us :) Generally though, shorts are not appropriate to wear to a decent restaurant but that is not only in Venice. Sleeveless tank top would not work either, IMO. Any kind of long pants, eg. jeans, khaki, trousers would do, as would button downs (but than you have to iron them!!) or polo shirts for men. Husband almost exclusively wears jeans and a wool sweater in the evenings (we travel to Venice in December) and there is no issue with wearing jeans to a high end restaurant.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
94 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dress code?

Excellent, as I expected.

All i need to do now is get my shirt from Scotland to Italy without needing to iorn it LOL

Thanks for the help.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,126 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dress code?

I think that you get better service if you dress a little.

But then, I never wear shorts in public.

Nor sandals with socks.

Chorley, United...
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
18,502 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dress code?

Dress codes do vary quite a lot. if you go to one of the Michelin starred restaurants in Venice then at least smart casual. When dining at such a place or going to la Fenice I tend to wear my double breasted navy blue reefer jacket with my College silver buttons and no-one, anywhere, has ever queried me, even when I dined at Paul Bocuse's 3* Michelin restaurant at Lyon.

But at lunch time in Venice anything goes though I have not worn shorts since I was living in East Africa.

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
46,124 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dress code?

Smart casual goes almost everywhere,