We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

24 Hours in Venice

Which Venice hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Dongducheon, South...
7 posts
1 review
Save Topic
24 Hours in Venice

This summer I will be visiting Venice and obviously one day is nowhere near enough time. My girlfriend and I chose to visit multiple destinations (Hiking in Bormio/Stelvio, Verona, Florence, Austria and Germany) rather than an extended stay in one location.

I have been reading up on a lot of things to do in Venice and there is quite a bit. Does anybody have recommendations for "Can't Miss" places while visiting?

Also, she is convinced we would be better off staying in a B&B for the quality of service and cleanliness rather than an overpriced hotel. Just curious if anyone has experience.

Thanks,

Jeremy

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
46,244 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 24 Hours in Venice

B&B's are really good value, we always use them these days, but in August do make sure there is air conditioning ,as you say you are not going to see much in one day , but what are your interests, this is a question which is asked a lot, so if you put "One day in Venice" in the search box on this page, you will get a lot of good ideas,

Dongducheon, South...
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: 24 Hours in Venice

That's a great point and I appreciate the help. To be honest, its almost overwhelming to decide what our interests are. She is much more in tune with the local cultures (i.e., the markets would probably be great) and getting away from the touristy locations. My preferences generally always fall back on the historical significance of what I am seeing but also just plain photography options.

Currently, I am thinking of the Grand Canal (Which I think would be easy, because you can't miss it?), St. Mark's Basillica and the Rialto Bridge at a minimum. We won't travel the islands, and becuse I'm a goofy American I have to ride a Gondola. Unless she hates it, then she wins.

But as far as getting away from crowds and still being immersed in the history, is it even possible not to? It seems like we could just wander around, eat, drink and go wherever catches our eye.

Thanks for the tip on the Air Conditioning, I hadn't even considered that. And will do on the search box. She is from Switzerland and I am from America but we both live in South Korea right now and since I haven't seen much of Europe I doubt we would go back to Venice. Every country is just so unique.

Dongducheon, South...
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: 24 Hours in Venice

I did some more research and of course will have to discuss with the girlfriend, but it looks like doing the Vaporetto is great to see some of the sights, but also walking to St. Mark's and the Rialto Bridge. In any case, we are in Venice. As long as we don't stay in the room the whole time, its going to be a great experience.

Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Rio de Janeiro
Level Contributor
19,222 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 24 Hours in Venice

Top Ten Things to do in Venice:

http://bit.ly/6kB6Pv

(With only one day, you should skip the islands.)

Wantagh, New York
Level Contributor
1,953 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 24 Hours in Venice

Make sure you see the Rialto fish market.early...not sunday or Monday......

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
102 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: 24 Hours in Venice

Why not Sunday, as I thought the Sunday market is good?

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
46,244 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 24 Hours in Venice

The Fish Market does not open on Sundays or Mondays,

8. Re: 24 Hours in Venice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2015, 05:17