We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transportation both ways in Venice

Which Venice hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Nevada
Level Contributor
1,008 posts
378 reviews
Save Topic
Transportation both ways in Venice

Been only to Venice once before years ago on a group tour, stayed for 1+ day and was a total fog in memory.

This time around going to spend 5 full days (I know, still too short) and have done more research (which is totally fun and probably learn more than having a tour group dictating where I should be going).

Anyway, will be coming off a cruise ship @ Stazione Marittime in Sept and staying 5 days in Venice then departing from VCE (Marco Polo Airport). Staying in Dorsoduro area apartment pretty closed to Campo San Barnaba.

Here's my plan: Off cruise ship (about 9am) on a Saturday take 1Euro People Mover Train to Piazzale Roma then take #1 Vaporatto @ Landing stage B (7 Euro) to Ca'Rezzonico stop and just short walk without crossing any bridges, no time pressure here since checking in apartment is few hours later.

On day of departing Venice (1pm flight, weekday), take Alilaguna waterbus (Linea Arancio--Orange line, 15Euro) between 9-10am one way to VCE from Ca' Rezzonico stop again (almost 1 hour ride).

I am sure there are different ways of getting to and leaving Venice, some maybe faster/less cost. But since I am not having a 6am departure from Venice, I have ample time and might as well spend more time to enjoy the canals and water routes both ways.

I also understand buying online can save one or 2 Euros, and there are numerous day pass options-- I will consider those later.

Right now, I just like locals or experts to see if my plan is sound, anything I should watch out for (time of arrival/departure--traffic rush hours, getting in and out of boats), also considering I will be having 2 rollerboards (28inch and 21 inch).

Thanks much.

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
46,020 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transportation both ways in Venice

I think you plan seems fair enough, you seemed to of worked it out well, (The people mover os now €1.30.)

Nevada
Level Contributor
1,008 posts
378 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transportation both ways in Venice

Grazie Sophie for quick response.

I thought about possibly getting a 72 hours or even 7 days vap pass but I enjoy walking so much and exploring Venice only (my only previous trip to this area I already went to Burano) that I doubt I will maximize the use of it. Thus the thinking of using ACTV coming in and Alilaguna on leaving. The other option of using vaporetto leaving to P. Roma then airport bus didnt really appeal to me as much.

Chorley, United...
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
18,469 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transportation both ways in Venice

The only trouble with the Alilaguna line from Ca'Rezzonico to Marco Polo is that it takes 67 minutes, The ACTV No 5 scheduled bus service takes about 20 minutes from Piazzale Roma to Marco |Polo as does the ATVO coach service.

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
46,020 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Transportation both ways in Venice

Perhaps getting a pass for some of the time, Venice is walkable but can be tiring, and when you have the Pass you could visit the far reaches of Venice, if you are not rushed although the Alilaguna takes time

it is straight forward,

Nevada
Level Contributor
1,008 posts
378 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Transportation both ways in Venice

So glad I asked the question, I know there will be useful input from you guys/gals.

Robert-- I thought about the vap/bus option because it will save time. However it is not as straight forward--luggages in/out of vaporetto, walk to ACTV #5 and repeat the same. Whereas Alilaguna is just one time. Looking at Alilaguna time table if I take 8:23/8:53/9:23 am choice it will take me to the airport by 9:30/10.00/10:30am. 10 minutes more walk from pier to airport would still give me about 2 hours before flight. Only question is I don't know how reliable is Alilaguna on their time table? So to give me more leeway, I most likely take the 8:23am one to arrive at airport 9:30am.

Sophie-- The pass I gave it a lot of thought and still have not quite decided it yet. There are so many options-- one way is 7E. 12/24/36/48/72 hours are 18/20/25/30/35 euros. 7 days is 50euros. Being there only 5 fulls days and if I do a lot of walking and get tired that would give me more excuses to have a gelato or ciccheta break. And if I get an extended pass I probably should time it for the first few days to include the vaporetto trip from Piazzale Roma to apartment and might as well go to Burano/Murano also. The pass is not useable for Alilaguna, right?

The question I have is from Campo San Barnaba walking to the farthest point in each of the 6 districts each day, let say, approximately how long it takes, on average, to get to each district?

6. Re: Transportation both ways in Venice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 June 2015, 06:16