We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Historic hotel with small canal view

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
418 posts
187 reviews
Save Topic
Historic hotel with small canal view

We are a family of 4 looking for a historic boutique hotel or b&b for our first trip to Venice. We do not need luxury accommodation; rather we prefer something quaint with historic features. We do not mind if we have to walk 20 minutes to major sites, particularly if it is a walk along charming narrow streets. We would love a balcony view of either a small canal or a square. Our budget is around 200-250€ per night! staying mid October.

I would appreciate any recommendations others can offer as I feel quite overwhelmed by the number of hotels on TA and have even been contemplating taking our chances and not booking.

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
46,642 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Historic hotel with small canal view

There are many places which I am sure would fit your requirements, most Hotels and B&B's are old buildings

Balconies are few and far between, but not being to concerned about location makes it easier, even the smaller Canal rooms with a view are more expensive your budget is not bad but depends how many rooms you need, October is regarded high season price wise, but a lovely time to go,

Go through the Hotels and B&B's on this site, they usual give a good description with photos , you should get some ideas from that,

Chorley, United...
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
18,642 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Historic hotel with small canal view

The Accademia - Villa Maravege in Dorsoduro is a 17th century building which was the home of the Russian Embasy in the distant days of the Venetian Republic. It lies at the junction of two side canals and has pleasant patios both in front and at the rear. It is only a short walk from the Accademia Gallery so might suit your requirements.

adelaide
Level Contributor
1,670 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Historic hotel with small canal view

if it helps (or confuses you more) the romantic image of a balcony overlooking a canal isn't as good in reality as it seems and isn't really needed

the balcony will be tiny and canals and squares can be noisy

even a balcony at the Gritti Palace is tiny though the hotel is stunning and has a terrace over the canal

it is 20 minutes or less from St Marks Square to Rialto Bridge so a 20 minute walk will take you anywhere

if you are from Melbourne then think of Venice fitting into the Queen Victoria Markets only full of alleys and canals

they aren't streets - if you walk with outstretched arms you touch the sides

where ever you stay you will surely love Venice

spend less on a room and have more to spend on treats sitting at a cafe in St Marks

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
6,609 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Historic hotel with small canal view

I have stayed in both, canal view and non canal view. Canal view may be romantic and picture pretty but keep in mind the motor boats start at sunrise and sometimes sooner. Generally rooms are not well air conditionned and you leave your windows open. So you get NOISE and early in the morning. I would rather stay where there is no canal view and an inner court. No noise.

Keep it in mind.

McKinney, Texas
Level Contributor
4 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Historic hotel with small canal view

Check Hotel Londres Palace

Singapore
Level Contributor
596 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Historic hotel with small canal view

We have reservations at Locanda Ca la vele, reasonably priced and has big rooms with balconies. gets good reviews here too!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
418 posts
187 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Historic hotel with small canal view

Thank you everyone. I have emailed some of these places. We are happy to give up a canal view but I will keep looking for something historically charming. I'm finding rates for 4 pretty pricey and I don't really want to spend way over budget for something we are just sleeping in.

Seattle
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
8,985 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Historic hotel with small canal view

How many nights will you be staying? If 3 or more you may find apartments which are less expensive and more suited to your taste. We had a lovely apartment with rooftop terrace (Altana) but could have easily had an apartment with canal view balcony. You can query Google with your requirements and see what appears.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,316 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Historic hotel with small canal view

Another huge fan of Pensione Accademia it ticks virtually all your boxes and a rarity in Venice has gardens front and back with small canals either side. However with a family an apartment rental is worth considering. We have rented with www.venice -rentals.com and they have some amazing apartments. I would recommend the Dorsoduro sestiere as it is a bit away from the tourist throngs, but still has easy access to the Accademia vaporetto stop and is the most wonderful 15-20 min walk to San Marco. Venice is a very expensive, but wonderful city and as we Aussies have to travel so far to get there it is worth saving up to have a memorable place to stay. Sure you will be walking a lot, but you also need the comforts of home .

Edited: 22 June 2014, 23:32
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
3,154 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Historic hotel with small canal view

See if Casa Rezzonica meets your requirements. We had a room with a view out onto on of the small side canals in Dorsoduro and thoroughly enjoyed it. The other rooms look out onto their pretty little garden where you have breakfast, weather permitting.