We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rialto Bridge restoration

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
343 posts
Save Topic
Rialto Bridge restoration

Just wondering when this work is scheduled to begin. We were quite disappointed to learn that the Trevi Fountain is under restoration until end of 2015; half of the colloseum is covered with scaffolding. I'm aware this is a selfish position and amazing benefit to these historic monuments. But when you wait and save 10 years for a trip back to Italy, you can't help but feel disappointed. I read that the Rialto is next (funded by Diesel). Should we expect construction? Travelling July 10.

Grazie!

Mentioned in this post
Trevi Fountain
Trevi Fountain
78,541 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Italy
Italy
Europe
UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
48,446 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rialto Bridge restoration

Travelling then should see no problem,

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
43,656 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Rialto Bridge restoration

There is no time that there is some precious ancient or very old structure under restroration/renovation in a country that has the treasures that Italy has - there are countless wonderful buildings and monuments - you will not be lacking in amazing sites. Those undergoing works are still very interesting to see - at any time.

Mentioned in this post
Italy
Italy
Europe
Chorley, United...
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
18,954 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rialto Bridge restoration

Quite when any project will start of finish in Venice is a matter for speculation.

I have never, in well over 30 years of visiting Venice, found it to be free of buildings undergoing restoration. This is not surprising in a city which still has building in daily use dating back as far as the 7th century AD, It has never detracted from my pleasure in being in Venice as there is so much to see and do there.

Mentioned in this post
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Boston...
Level Contributor
208 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rialto Bridge restoration

I also was disappointed to find these great structures in Rome were getting a much needed face-lift this year. We will be in Italy for our first visit this September.. Always thought we would have been there years ago. Things happen and dream vacations get put on hold. Now we are able to go, but much older. Can't put it off because we may not be here tomorrow.. So, will the Rialto Bridge be receiving it's restoration in September? I tried to google it and all the articles were old.

Mentioned in this post
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Italy
Italy
Europe
Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
3 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rialto Bridge restoration

Can you share an update? I am planning a trip to Venice for April, after deciding against Rome so I can wait to see the Trevi Fountain.

Alternatively, does anyone else know if there is a place online to track the restoration plans when they start or get close to starting?

Thanks, all!

Mentioned in this post
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Trevi Fountain
Trevi Fountain
78,541 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Venice, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
11,423 posts
562 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rialto Bridge restoration

Emily, you can "see" the Trevi fountain from a viewing platform. There is no water though but, still, this should not have prevented you from visiting Rome.

Edited: 30 September 2014, 20:06
Mentioned in this post
Trevi Fountain
Trevi Fountain
78,541 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Boston...
Level Contributor
208 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rialto Bridge restoration

Just came back from our trip. Yes the Trevi Fountain is under restoration. The fountain at the bottom of the Spanish steps is now open. Didn't even notice the scaffolding at the Colosseum. The Rialto bridge was not under restoration when we were there middle of September.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
9 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rialto Bridge restoration

If you go to the live cams of the Rialto Bridge it and the surrounding area is one big construction site,

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
48,446 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rialto Bridge restoration

A recent article

https://news.artnet.com/art-world/5-million-…

Venice
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
9,520 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Rialto Bridge restoration

Its a mess.....but it needs to be done....